Kreem fuel tank liner kit on a partial restoration on my grandpas cm200

marlboro man

19 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

I have...don't!

Ethanol fuel will cause it to separate from the tank's innards.  I don't care how you prep it, stuff will fall off, break up and enter the fuel system.

Try Caswell's or POR14.

Thanks it doesn't leak I'll probably just use the rust cleaner

14 minutes ago, marlboro man said:

Thanks it doesn't leak I'll probably just use the rust cleaner

Rinse it really good after that.  Use some sort of oil to coat the inside; it'll flash rust fairly quick again.

I've cleaned rust out by loading a length of small chain or a handful of #10 or 12 unplated lockwashers in a tank, wrap the tank with blankets and put it in the dryer.  Add more blankets as needed to keep tank from moving around and run it without heat for an hour or so.  Remove the hill-billy media, wash out and oil.

Yes; my wife spends a lot of time shaking her head... :)

• Upvote 2

Never use that crap!

i have been cleaning with muriatic acid and then electro plating (galvanize with zinc). If you have a welder and not afraid to make a simple zinc solution, it's very easy.  The results are a new tank that won't rust for a very long time if ever.

Will do a step by step with pictures if there is interest.

Here is a moped tank that my son and I did recently...  it's been a year and still looks like new!

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I did Tank didn't leak so I just cleaned it :2gal  of apple cider vinegar, let it sit for a week, shake it up a little bit, drain out half of it, shake it up a little bit more & shake it,flushed it out with the garden hose, shake it ,empty flush out again, Flush & shake about four more times, empty, filled with Coca-Cola, shake it, empty, flush with kerosene, empty,fill with kerosene one cup two-stroke oil for storage time to use in flush with gasoline

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used Kreem years ago on a 1984 Honda XR-80. Never noticed any separation, but that was damn near 20 years ago to be honest. I've had good luck with Tractor Supply's tractor paint and hardener. In particular, I've used their New Holland yellow for the inside of jerry cans. I haven't had any issue.