for those that run a race tail on the street...

natedogg624

first off i have a really good deal on a sharkskinz street solo tail, meaning it is a race tail but yet can still accommodate my stock seat and undertail. I dont do passengers and this will be a track bike anyways so may as well get a jump on this if i can get around a few things.

i know i could just get a targa passenger seat replacement but the cheapest i have found is 80 dollars.

ok so: how did you deal with losing the trunk space(nook)? thats where i keep my insurance/registration and some other items like a tire patch kit etc. Is it possible to get quick release fasteners? I dont get into my nook at all except to lock my helmet and i can deal with losing that ability. i know there are dzuys(?) fasteners but i dont think those will work because the tail will only be held on by two screws into the subframe not plastic to plastic. Just looking for something so that in case i needed to get in there i could get in there without the use of a screwdriver.

after some thinking, i could just carry the insurance/reg with me in my jacket but just have to remember to keep them with me even when i change jackets... and i could use a spare key (not my bike key) to unscrew the screws...

this could work for now but i still would like some input as to what you guys do.

do your papers like i do. i put em in a baggie which i fold up and have duct taped to the bottom of my seat. takes up zero space. my tool kit consists of a multi tool and zip ties. the rest of teh shit just adds weight. if i cant fix it with zip ties and a multi tool, none of the tools in the toolkit are gonna fix it either lol.

ok so where do you keep the multi tool though?

i like the idea of the papers on the underside of the seat very good idea.

yeah i like em on the bike. i may forget my wallet, but im not gonna forget my seat lol.

as for the multi tool, i dont have a race tail, but maybe there is still some room under the seat or something? my tool isnt very big. er wait a second... that sounds bad. :D

haha, yea that tool could possibly fit under the seat...

i only have the seat bolts on finger tight because i get in there so dang much...and there is room in there for a tool

this could work guys

anyone else have suggestions?

im geting ready to order a set of plastics an its gonna have a solo tail to it with a brake light cut out. but on the 675 the front seat comes off an thats where ur tools go so not quite the same problem but duck tape to the underside of the seat or maybe find a way to attach some kinda small box to the inside of the fairings or the front fairings maybe

I just don't carry my registration or insurance card with me now that I don't have a rear trunk. I figure if I'm getting pulled over, I'm getting fucked with either way so it probably won't matter much more. Worst case scenario I just have to show the papers to them later on.

o i thought i mentioned that in my OP

the tail im getting is able to fit my stock seat and my stock undertail and the lights for me are fixed in the undertail piece. so i wont be losing lights or license plate mounts or anything.

and my lights are integrated so not losing turn signals either.

o i thought i mentioned that in my OP

the tail im getting is able to fit my stock seat and my stock undertail and the lights for me are fixed in the undertail piece. so i wont be losing lights or license plate mounts or anything.

and my lights are integrated so not losing turn signals either.

Ok so you are getting a street tail with the solo cowl built in.

Race tails are flat where the brake light goes.

im sure as hell glad this thing isn't going to be 1000 dollars...

its turning out to be around 50 all tabs are intact, and some rough housing scratches (not from a crash just moving the piece around the garage)

im trying to get more pics to see what exactly im getting into before i send payments...

for those that have a solo tail for the street can you post some pics of it?

im specifically looking at the underside of it and what different people have done regarding lights/license plate and just the whole look in general. any pictures really would be great!

i really wanna keep my undertail...

for those that have a solo tail for the street can you post some pics of it?

im specifically looking at the underside of it and what different people have done regarding lights/license plate and just the whole look in general. any pictures really would be great!

i really wanna keep my undertail...

shittygsxr has a good setup on his gsxr...I mean, assuming he did the work and not gsxrnurse

i just bought a titanium exhaust hanger for my bike at 10.50 sweet!

-i was just gonna run right pass bracket with footpeg taken out but found this auction instead

and i also got a sharkskinz street solo tail for 50 shipped... another sweet!

its gonna be a good summer :) bike is gonna look sick when im done

question anyone know of a place that makes number plates for the tail? right now the plan is to get the measurements and get number plates made by a local but if i can shop around for something cheaper that would be cool too.

no no i will be racing soon and am in the long process of building it to race spec but its my only bike so i still need to keep it streetable. i definitely dont want to be a poser for sure thats not my goal with this project at all. Looking to start some serious tracking with it this summer and work on getting my license soon after.

make sense?

ok i can see where the number plates can make it look like i am posing but what else could i use to fill up that large amount of space? The numbers i am choosing are a memorial to my late grandfather's passing not an imitation to something else

i just bought a titanium exhaust hanger for my bike at 10.50 sweet!

-i was just gonna run right pass bracket with footpeg taken out but found this auction instead

and i also got a sharkskinz street solo tail for 50 shipped... another sweet!

its gonna be a good summer :) bike is gonna look sick when im done

question anyone know of a place that makes number plates for the tail? right now the plan is to get the measurements and get number plates made by a local but if i can shop around for something cheaper that would be cool too.

Dude you will have to paint number plates... There isn't a vinyl made that can confrom to the angles and curves of the tails today..