Muskingum County Aerial Flood Pics/Vid

nurkvinny

My parents live directly along Dillon Lake in Muskingum Co. For those that don't know, Dillon Lake is really the Licking River dammed up behind (you guessed it) The Dillon Dam. There are low areas around the lake that flood every year, and since I grew up seeing it each year, I kept blowing everyone off that was freaking out about the Dam being at it's highest point... ever.

Well, today, I drove around that area for a while. At least, until I would run into a closed road, and have to turn around. The area is by far the worst I ever remember it. The lake is about 1 to 2 feet from overtaking the main state route to the East of the lake, and has already covered the state route to the West of the lake. My folks live between these 2 roads, and would have to evacuate if the 2nd route goes under.

If they release any more water from the dam, several downriver areas, mainly eastern Zanesville, will be flooded. These areas are full of homes and businesses.

I think they are going to have to decide between flooding some of Zanesville or evacuating about 5 neighborhoods around Dillon Lake.

Anyways, here are some aerial pics and a video taken several days ago, when the water level was less than it is today:

http://www.whiznews.com/gallery/gallery.php?category=1

Right Click