Awesome! I have the perfect thing to spend my tax return on...a speeding ticket!

Harb67

:villagers::cry:

Went down for a ride around Nelsonville and on my way back on 33 I got nailed for 90 in a 65. Fantastic.

I want to call bullshit on the speed; I NEVER cruise at 90 as it reads 100 on my speedo and tripe digits just don't feel right while cruising. I usually cruise at a bit over 80, but its not like that's much difference. He caught me by pacing me and not with radar, so I'll never know... At least he was a nice guy; didn't hassle me and even complimented my bike some.

Regardless, it's 130$. Court is optional; I can just mail them a check. Should I bother going to court? I don't know anything at all about how this stuff works; my last ticket was 3 years ago (SO CLOSE to having a clean record...just a few more months to go until now :'() and I just mailed them a check. If I go to court and the officer doesn't show, do I pay anything? If I do go and he shows, do I just pay the 130 or are there extra court fees and other goodies? If it's a chance at not paying anything with worst case being me having to pay the 130, I may as well go to court and try my luck.

Oh joy I cannot wait to see how high my insurance will go now. I'm already paying 139/month for mediocre coverage.

Anyway, rant over. Just felt like venting somewhere.

:villagers::cry:

Went down for a ride around Nelsonville and on my way back on 33 I got nailed for 90 in a 65. Fantastic.

I want to call bullshit on the speed; I NEVER cruise at 90 as it reads 100 on my speedo and tripe digits just don't feel right while cruising. I usually cruise at a bit over 80, but its not like that's much difference. He caught me by pacing me and not with radar, so I'll never know... At least he was a nice guy; didn't hassle me and even complimented my bike some.

Regardless, it's 130$. Court is optional; I can just mail them a check. Should I bother going to court? I don't know anything at all about how this stuff works; my last ticket was 3 years ago (SO CLOSE to having a clean record...just a few more months to go until now :'() and I just mailed them a check. If I go to court and the officer doesn't show, do I pay anything? If I do go and he shows, do I just pay the 130 or are there extra court fees and other goodies? If it's a chance at not paying anything with worst case being me having to pay the 130, I may as well go to court and try my luck.

Oh joy I cannot wait to see how high my insurance will go now. I'm already paying 139/month for mediocre coverage.

Anyway, rant over. Just felt like venting somewhere.

I'd go to court. I went and my speeding ticket was dismissed due to a address technicality. :dj:

If I am not mistaken if you fight it in court you will never pay more than the cost of the ticket for contesting it.

and he's 25mph over though. How come he doesn't have to show? Oh, what is IRC?

IRC = i recall correctly. So he's saying 'if i recall correctly'.

I don't mind going to court really. My biggest question is does a ticket get dismissed if the cop doesn't show up. I'm thinking that because A) it's 9 AM on a friday and B) he gave me the option to go to court or not, he might not be planning on actually going. The date is june 6th; the friday of my exam week and I have a whole empty day to kill. May as well go and hope for the best.

why wouldnt a cop show up? they get paid for it (overtime i think) and they dont have to be out on the street dealing with assholes... sounds like a good deal to me.

why wouldnt a cop show up? they get paid for it (overtime i think) and they dont have to be out on the street dealing with assholes... sounds like a good deal to me.

Well let's see, might be their day off....might have a doctor's appointment....might even fall asleep behind the donut shop?....endless reasons.

Sorry Harb67, good luck with that ticket!

I always hear stories of cops not showing up. I have enough tickets for several of us and the Cop never ever missed one of my court appearances. I requested continuances and rescheduled and those SOB's were always there waiting for me

If it is a mayors court then the cop does not need to show up, if it is county court then the cop has to be there. From what i understand the fine can not go past what the ticket was, so no, you will not pay more than 130, most of the time if you go to court it will at least be reduced.

How does one go about getting a ticket reduced? I doubt they just go "oh you showed up, take 20 bucks offa that". Do you dispute the speed or what?

Now that I've had time to sit and cool off, i really don't mind this thing that much. I messed up; should have been paying attention to both my speed and my surroundings. The 130$ fine is ok with me; it's my insurance that really gets me. I don't know how high it's going to go, but it won't be pretty. I'll probably end up lowering my coverage some to try to keep it comparable to what I have currently.

Just an FYI for those of you who dont know any better, 33 (especially the section from 70 to logan) is patrolled HEAVILY by the Lancaster branch of the OHP. These are the biggest pricks in the universe. They patrol no other area. They fight no crime. If you break down, they fly right by, but go 6 mph over and they are on your ass. They only exist to give speeding tickets and make $ for the county and/or state. This part of 33 is probably the worst area in Ohio to speed in. I have been to court in Lancaster to fight several tickets. They show up every time. If you're going, get a lawyer and wear some respectable clothes. This will distinguish you from the dirtybutt who show up with their sag on.

Say what you want my cop friends, these guys would give you a ticket for 6 over in a heartbeat.

If it is a mayors court then the cop does not need to show up, if it is county court then the cop has to be there. From what i understand the fine can not go past what the ticket was, so no, you will not pay more than 130, most of the time if you go to court it will at least be reduced.

correct me if im wrong, but i think mayors courts are now illegal in ohio. too many podunk towns using them as revenue generators... IE New Rome.

CW still has one.

actually now that you say that, i think it has something to do with the size of the town. they have to have over 300 people or something... i cant remember exactly

new rome had 66 residents and like 5 cops. lol assholes.

but i think you have to have over X number of people to be able to hold a mayors court.

just found this on google

Ohio law says that no village of less than 100 residents, as defined by U.S. census figures, may operate a mayor's court.

Just an FYI for those of you who dont know any better, 33 (especially the section from 70 to logan) is patrolled HEAVILY by the Lancaster branch of the OHP. These are the biggest pricks in the universe. They patrol no other area. They fight no crime. If you break down, they fly right by, but go 6 mph over and they are on your ass. They only exist to give speeding tickets and make $ for the county and/or state. This part of 33 is probably the worst area in Ohio to speed in. I have been to court in Lancaster to fight several tickets. They show up every time. If you're going, get a lawyer and wear some respectable clothes. This will distinguish you from the dirtybutt who show up with their sag on.

Say what you want my cop friends, these guys would give you a ticket for 6 over in a heartbeat.

agreed! did you know the fastest speeding ticket last year(?) in ohio i believe was given in that area (the lancaster by pass right after the huge hill going east) and the guy was on a bike...

its just so damn boring to get there on 33, this past spring i started doing 23 to 56 and into athens or go into the hocking area that way. takes around the same amount of time and much more fun

this past spring i started doing 23 to 56 and into athens or go into the hocking area that way. takes around the same amount of time and much more fun

True!

Even if your coming from Columbus, you can get off 33 in Canal, head down Amanda Northern rd into Amanda and take a host of fun twisties into HH and beyond.

Its really up to you mang, but ya definately have to slow down between logan and CW..its brutal.(I'm from lancaster, i know it well).. I know of some people that go and ask for fine/no points speed. That basically means you pay the fine, but get no points on your license.

And cops don't always have to appear at all the court dates. If your meaning court as the date on ya ticket, thats your arraignment(you are asked to plead guilty/not guilty/no contest). Cops are only needed for a trial or pretrial hearing or supression hearing on evidence. You might be able to get your speed knocked down since it was a pace thing. They say cop cars are "calibrated" but you can always ask how far was he behind me to pace, was he closing at that speed? or was he even "trained" to pace people. Most things don't hold up in court unless there is evidence or training to back up the charge. Just some idea's I'm trying to toss out there....but regardless....slowing down will always prevent these situations from happening :(

My suggestion is to go to court. I had a wreckless op./ speeding/ no liscense or endorsement/ no insurance, i think there were a couple others, I was workin on a bike and rode it 3 seconds up the street to the store, left on 1 wheel right in front of a cop. short story long the other cop that showed up wrote tickets did not go to court 3 times and then dismissed. no charges to me. hehe