Dyno'd my AE86 *VID*

Farkas

Whats up guys... Just thought I would post some numbers and a short clip of my car being dyno'd. My brother belongs to a mazda club here in columbus which was holding a dyno day here locally at Passen Motorsports. They kindly let me participate, and I had a great time introducing myself and what kinda car I drove to the mazda fellows. Without any badges I got alot of confused looks, and some guys even shat themselves when they found out it was an 1986 that was rwd and 5psd. But it was great to hang out with the guys, and hopefully they will be holding another after I get some camshafts and other power upgrades.

Here's the vid:

http://www.portal.conceptual-x.com/andy/bf01.mpeg

Once I find the Dynosheet I'll have it scanned but I got 3 pulls and my best pull I ended up with 103 rwhp and 99 ft lbs of torque. considering my car is as old as I am.. I'm happy that my bluetop is still pullin as hard as it was when it was new smile.gif . Unfortunately I have small ignition problems that show in the dyno sheet, but those will be tweaked and fixed soon enough.

Originally posted by Skidmark:

Where's the "woooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH"?

tongue.gif

lol, no way will you catch me with a turbo in my car. for some reason i'm not a boost fan.. the only way i can see an engine built right is all motor. if i went with ITB's my car would sound dead sexy, and would have twice the throttle response any turbo or supercharger would give me.

Guest Harris92
Originally posted by Andy F.:

lol, no way will you catch me with a turbo in my car. for some reason i'm not a boost fan.. the only way i can see an engine built right is all motor. if i went with ITB's my car would sound dead sexy, and would have twice the throttle response any turbo or supercharger would give me.

Have you ever owned a turbo car? My car has virtually no turbo lag, and almost instant boost response

ITB's on a stock 4 cylinder is a nice way to waste money instead of saving for a turbo. The gains are only good for cammed-out, high compression race motors.. but if that's what you want, more power to ya.

Been there done that ;)

ITB's did come factory on some of the 4AGE's thought so you really should do your homework before attempting to thrash someones ideas.

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by MRMEANR:

Been there done that ;)

ITB's did come factory on some of the 4AGE's thought so you really should do your homework before attempting to thrash someones ideas.

Well, just because they came factory, doesn't mean they help much.

Nice looking coupe, sounds like it pulls strong. I like your wheels too, Panasports right?

I'm working on my 4agze swap right now, so have fun with ITB's but I really like torque better. ;)

After mine is all done I hope to get it on a dyno too. Nice vid. graemlins/nod.gif

Yeah but was that the ONLY part on the entire car that was different/upgraded? ITB's can cost over $1000, and that's more than half a turbo kit.. 1g for 18hp, or save a bit more for at least 50-60hp? Hmmmm.

ITB's may cost over $1000 for a Honda or something. Yet for a 4AGE you can get them for dirt cheap. 18HP for dirt cheap is pretty good. Does it really matter if he did want to spend $1000 for ITBs... it's really none of your business. Why do you have to go and try to make a fool of him?

And yes I'd rather have an ITB 4AGE than a 4AGTE anyday. And yes I'd rather own a Toyota than a Honda.

You guys are missing the point. The AE86 is not a high speed, low drag kinda car. Its not made to be worth anything over 100mph. Its a great car around the tight tracks and the snappy throttle response makes up the rear end control the suspension cant provide.

To build a great car, you have to know what your building. Hes on the right track. 180-200bhp in that car, with a nice cage and remove most of the interior... shear TERROR to the SCCA.

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

You guys are missing the point. The AE86 is not a high speed, low drag kinda car. Its not made to be worth anything over 100mph. Its a great car around the tight tracks and the snappy throttle response makes up the rear end control the suspension cant provide.

To build a great car, you have to know what your building. Hes on the right track. 180-200bhp in that car, with a nice cage and remove most of the interior... shear TERROR to the SCCA.

Finally someone with knowledge about my car.. I'm aiming for around 150-160HP by way of cams, ITB's and other misc parts, and thats all the power I need. AE86 is notorious for its handling and perfect weight balance, not its speed in a straight line..

Originally posted by Andy F.:

Finally someone with knowledge about my car.. I'm aiming for around 150-160HP by way of cams, ITB's and other misc parts, and thats all the power I need. AE86 is notorious for its handling and perfect weight balance, not its speed in a straight line..

I think 150-160hp is very acheiveable all-motor, and I hope that gives you the results you want. I'm dropping my 4agze in soon because I want the torque provided by the supercharger. I'm not a fan of the turbo AE86 either, because I do like the instant response and it's better to keep the car balanced; it just feels like too much for the Corolla.

Don't take everything people say here seriously, they're just boost-happy and they don't mean anything by it. When I get my car done I think I'm going to try and make it to some track days around here, maybe you'd be interested in that too.