Golden Retriever TAKEN - Thanks!

Ziggy1647545504

I need to find a good home for my dog. My wife will be starting her full time job soon, and we just can't afford to keep him around. His name is Buster, and he is a CKC registered Golden Retriever. He is a very smart dog, but requires attention and exercise that neither myself nor my wife can give him with two young kids in the house. He'll come with a large crate, two bowls, leash, and whatever food is left in the bag. It should be noted that he is only about 10 months old, so he still has his bouts with "puppy dumb", but he generally listens very well, and will come on whistle command. Want to find him a happy home where he will be very much a part of a family. Unfortunately, with us all being out of the house during the day, it really isn't fair to Buster to keep him with us. PM me if you're interested, I don't have any pics right now, but I'll see what I can dig up.

[ 28. December 2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: CR Caddy ]

My kids are 2 and 5. They absolutly love him! He does very well with them, especially my 2 year old. My son (5) sometimes starts to play a little too rough with him, and he can get pretty rowdy, but he is really good about not biting or anything. He does very good about doing his business outside. He has had a couple of "accidents" in the house, but nothing chronic really. Now cats, I don't know. We don't have cats, and I really couldn't say how he does with them. He has chased the cats and rabbits and squirrels in and around the yard, though. The main thing that he needs is someone to help him get through his formidable puppy years. Preferably someone who is at home most of the day and can give him a lot of attention.

Here are the pics of Buster. Hopefully they'll load, they're on my cardomain site.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/729000-729999/729721_19.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/729000-729999/729721_20.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/729000-729999/729721_22.jpg

[ 22. December 2004, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: CR Caddy ]

Sorry guys, I let my wife know how much response I've gotten on this post, and when I told her that someone is very interested and wants to see him, she started to cry and has decided that at least for the time being, she wants to keep him around. Plus, it'll break my kids heart just before Christmas. So for the time being, Buster still has a home, and is off the market. I'll be sure to put him back on here first if we find that we still can't work things out.

Hoblick, I sent you a new PM, and recognise first dibs if we need to find him a home in the future.

Do you have a fenced in backyard? George, our Golden says out during the day most of the time. That way he gets exercise and is not too much problem at night. If a 50' tie out works pretty good too. Goldens are usually smart enough to not get themselves tangled and will still be able to run around.

My yard is fenced, but the problem is really just the mud. Sometimes I wonder if he tromps through the mud and such on purpose! He really is a pretty smart dog, but sometimes he lacks basic sense. Like in the rain, I'll leave the door to the screened patio open so he can come and go, but when I check on him, he's sitting in the middle of the yard looking up at the sky! Most of our problem I think has to do with us not having as much patience as we need to have a puppy in the house. Had a long talk with the wife, and Buster is getting a reprieve for now. We'll see if we can become better dog owners and maybe we'll end up with a better dog in the long run. How old is your Golden?

George is 18 months and he loves to get muddy too! I too have watched him stand in the rain and run through the mud. Confinement to one room in the house is a must. I have found that wiping down the paws on entry helps, as does putting old towels on the floor near entrances. George also went swimming a couple of weeks ago when it was about 30 outside! As long as Buster has a dog house and some blankets outside he will be fine. There are just too many people that think that Goldens are a "HOUSE" dog, and they're not.

You guys still interested? I now HAVE to find him a good home soon or get him in to a shelter. Buster was outside today, and somehow managed to cut one of the pads on his rear foot. I took him in to MedVet in Worthington, but to have him seen is really beyond what I can afford. I don't think that he's hurt badly, but for a while, he was bleeding pretty good. It is going to devastate my kids, and it kills me and my wife to let him go, but at this point, he needs to go somewhere that people can afford to get him the attention he needs. His well being is most important to me at this point.

Hoblick: Your PM box is full. If you're still interested, call me at 475-5740 or 554-3998

This needs to happen today if possible. I'm going to be forced to take him in someplace otherwise, his poor foot needs to be looked at. :(

[ 27. December 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: CR Caddy ]

Took him to the Gahanna Animal Hospital (Great place!) last night, and the doc fixed him up with a couple of staples in his pad. He wrapped and taped him up, and gave him some antibiotics to help ensure that it doesn't get infected. Got done, and took him out to Hoblick in Pataskala. Thanks for everything guys. I know he'll be happy.