Punctured tire.

Mc_spirited

So today I was riding to an eye appointment. Went through an intersection and heard a "Pop". I thought it was just a rock or something. I get to the place and when I come out my bike feels weird. Look at the tire and it is wayyy low. "F%$K!". I got to an Autozone and bought a plug kit. Put in a plug and walked across the street to RADAIR. I talked to the manager and he was nice enough to let me use their air for the tire. He even had a portable air charger. Awesome. Plugged the tire, got the air tank and filled it up. It leaked a little bit but I decided to go for it. My friend rode with me the whole time flashing hazard lights. Made it home and the tire had 31 PSI. I tore the plug out and re-plugged it, this time using two plugs.

For the locals, It happened at 130th and Pearl. Had to ride to Broadview/Brookpark.

I need a new front tire and now I need a rear too. At least now it is a easy decision whether to stick with the rear brand or go two new ones. Might as well change it up to a stickier tire. I have Pirelli Diablo/Strada on it now. I am gonna look into new rubber soon. The worst thing is that the Teddybear run is Sunday. I don't want to miss it, and I don't want to pay a shop to do the work, I want to bring in the tires. I don't have stands though. So this is going to be difficult. Maybe I will do one tire at a time.

I hope that this plug job sets up well and it holds good air. I figure I will let it cure for a while and I can air it up and let it sit for at least one day to see if it leaks any. I figure as long as I make it to the run I'll be okay, they usually have a truck and trailer that follows for anyone that broke down.

I know this topic has been done before so I am going to be doing some searching, but anyone running a plugged tire now? How long have you ran your plugged tire. I know it can be done, and I know people have put very many miles on plugged tires. I wouldnt push it on the expressway or in the twists, but as long as it gets me 12 hours of riding on Sunday I think it will be alright. I also ran a inner-tube in my ex250 for 4 or 5 thousand miles. Got a nail in my new tire and tubed it, I don't know if that affects the tire though. Anyone have experience or wisdom on that front?

I will be doing a burnout on this tire until it gets flat at least. Thats the only way I would ever do one and I might as well smoke the tire if it is ruined. Maybe I can keep it for a spare, that would probably be smarter. It has allot of meat on it still.

Here is a picture of the puncture and the offending sheet-metal screw. Also pictured is his good friend, Mr. Valve tappet (At least I think thats what it is.) Pulled that out from under the valve cover of my EX250 the other day. That explains why it wasn't running well. Also pulled out a washer or something that goes on-top of the spring, Don't know the status of the valve, the one piece is missing a little chunk. Gotta find the nut that was on-top though.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get tires? Or a tire preference?

Yeah, a good plug should be made from the inisde. If I have to take the tire off might as well get a new one on. I might ride my cousins Harley in the run. I found Michelin PP 2CT's for 258. I dont think shipped. Any better place or price?

a set of bidgestones anyone?

http://www.cyclesector.com/product_p/bstonebt002set120-fslash-180.htm

239 shipped! i think i paid them 255 for drop shipping, i ordered them on a friday at my door monday. call and ask for scott, tell him e-flores or esxraaron sent you. he will help you out! oh and they are great tires, alot of people hate bridgestone because of the stock tires that come on the bikes but these things are amazing. dual compound front and single compound rear.

I've punctured a dunlop 208 tire once shortly after buying it. I was hesitant but I filled the wheel with some "Stan's No Tubes" tubeless tire sealant for bicycles. It sealed my tire beautifully for a nail sized puncture and I was able to put another 1000 miles on it. However, due to the wear on your current tire, just replace the pair. May I suggest the pirelli diablo corsa III tires. Love'em.

damn i just pulled out a small shard of metal about 1/2" long from my rear tire today...gotta get a tire from the dealer cause i dont have time to wait on shipping. bike is going on a trailer tuesday. on the bright side, my sprocket and chainguard dont have 8000 miles worth of gunky buildup on them anymore :D

I found a product called Ride-on TPS. It is a gel like liquid you put in your tires. It will seal punctures up to 1/8th inch, and also acts as a dynamic wheel balancer. The gel heats up and spreads in the tire and it helps smooth vibrations. Its 41 bucks, but definetly worth the peace of mind.

I am gonna call around today and see how much I can get tires for and how much they charge to install tires.

I once plugged the rear tire on my ZX-7. I don't suggest doing it, but it held up just fine and I wore the tire right down the wear bars. If you're in a pinch it would be just fine. Front tires though...not a chance, those get replaced.

a set of bidgestones anyone?

http://www.cyclesector.com/product_p/bstonebt002set120-fslash-180.htm

239 shipped! i think i paid them 255 for drop shipping, i ordered them on a friday at my door monday. call and ask for scott, tell him e-flores or esxraaron sent you. he will help you out! oh and they are great tires, alot of people hate bridgestone because of the stock tires that come on the bikes but these things are amazing. dual compound front and single compound rear.

+1 I bought my BT002 from them at the beginning of the month..had them here in like 3 or 4 days. I'll be breaking them in Tuesday when I ride to get my salvage inspection completed.

you will love them, the fronts are amazing!!! I have been able to push the front tire harder than I could have thought and I still have chicken strips on the front. I am looking forward to my next trackday so I can grow some and see what the tires can really do.