WTB: rifle for my nephew

Guest busteryhyman

Guest busteryhyman
Does anyone have one or know of a cheap place i can get a first rifle for my 16 year old nephew. He wants to go hunting this year and his stepmom is being a bitch and wont buy him one, so i figure i will

Guest busteryhyman
i dont know ANYTHING about guns, i just know my brothers wife said if he buys him a gun he's dead (they are divorced) so i'm just gonna do it....so yeah something good for a 16 year old to go deer and turkey hunting with

Deer hunting, he is going to need a pretty stout rifle to bring anything down without ruining it.

I would buy him a .22 and let him shoot at bottles and knock out turkeys so he learns to respect the gun. Buying a 16 year old a deer rifle for his first gun is a bad idea. Not to mention a .22 is a very "beginner" caliber, and shouldn't cause too much of a fuss.

You can get .22's dirt cheap used. Look in the paper or call the Powder Room (in the phone book) and see what they have. You can get them pretty cheap new also, less than $150.

Who is going to supervise him on his new rifling adventures?

Guest busteryhyman

hey thanks.

my brother is going to take him. My brother has been hunting for 20 years and my dad taught him to hunt (my father ex military marksman and ex police officer) so i feel he's pretty safe

also look at Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg...off 256 on Taylor Rd. (across from walmart and sams club). when i used to work there, and im sure you still can, they had new .22's for 150$...they also have a used gun section, that you can probably find one for 100$. give them a call and try Vances out on cleveland Ave. they ususally have a good selection of used guns at a good quaility. try those two places

Gander Mountain - 856-0066

Vances - 471-7353

Originally posted by Obsequy Empire:

Get him a .22 and let him work his way up from there. smile.gif

Agreed. That's what we did as kids. We took our dad's .22 rifle to Tennessee and plinked bottles and shit on our family's land down there.

There's a lot to be learned when handling firearms, and I'd recommend that he hit the safety course first before doing anything with that weapon.

Originally posted by evan9381:

also look at Gander Mountain in Reynoldsburg...off 256 on Taylor Rd. (across from walmart and sams club). when i used to work there, and im sure you still can, they had new .22's for 150$...they also have a used gun section, that you can probably find one for 100$. give them a call and try Vances out on cleveland Ave. they ususally have a good selection of used guns at a good quaility. try those two places

Gander Mountain - 856-0066

Vances - 471-7353

Is it bad when everyone that works at Vance's knows you, your dad, your uncle, and 2 of your cousins by first name?

Anyways, try to find a Rugar 10-22, I love mine. If you want to get him into a shotgun, get him a 28 guage.

We a have 10/22 at work (used, in great shape,)and we also offer beginner classes for anyone. Of course the minor would need either permission of their legal guardian, etc. Feel free to call and find out more details. We open at 12 noon. 614-939-GUNS.

Greg

yea i think a 20 ga. would be better than a 28...but seeing how he's 16, hes probably big enough for a 12 ga...i shot a 20 ga 3 times when i was 12-13 and then my grandpa said he had a 12 ga at home hed give me if i could shoot it...single shot H&R...that thing kicked like a bitch...but i went home with a new gun...parents werent too happy about it but i had no ammo and they knew i wouldnt use it unless i was with him so it ended up being ok...since then, i have bought/had my parents buy, when i was under 18, probably 6 guns...got about 7 when my other grandpa died that i just got last year when i turned 18...ive had a fair share of guns...like i said, if hes 16, you might just want to get him an old single shot 12 ga, or you might be able to find a used remington 870 for 150$...those are good guns and will last a long time

Originally posted by evan9381:

yea i think a 20 ga. would be better than a 28...but seeing how he's 16, hes probably big enough for a 12 ga...i shot a 20 ga 3 times when i was 12-13 and then my grandpa said he had a 12 ga at home hed give me if i could shoot it...single shot H&R...that thing kicked like a bitch...but i went home with a new gun...parents werent too happy about it but i had no ammo and they knew i wouldnt use it unless i was with him so it ended up being ok...since then, i have bought/had my parents buy, when i was under 18, probably 6 guns...got about 7 when my other grandpa died that i just got last year when i turned 18...ive had a fair share of guns...like i said, if hes 16, you might just want to get him an old single shot 12 ga, or you might be able to find a used remington 870 for 150$...those are good guns and will last a long time

I don't see why a 20 guage would be better for him. He should start out with a 28 guage because it will make him a better shot. A 12 guage has less kick than a 20 guage because of the mass of the gun (mainly on newer guns) I have a browning Citori 20 guage and a Browning Citori 12 guage, and the 12 guage had more of a push type kick, where the 20 guage just beat the hell outta me. Honestly, start him out with a 28 guage, he won't have to worry about kick, and he can learn to actually shoot, rather than just point and pull the trigger hoping to spray the target. Trust me

I know I'm a bit late on this thread, but...

For a rifle, and since it sounds like he is a semi-beginner, a Ruger 10/22 rifle would be the best way to go for learning to shoot. However, it is illigal to hunt deer with a rifle. If he is wanting a gun that he can shoot deer and turkey with, an over-under would be the way to go. I know of a few people on here (myself included) that have an over-under made by Savage Arms that is single shot 20 guage and .22 magnum that is suppose to be great for those purposes. I'm not a big fan of it because I don't like having to reload after every shot, but if you just want to get him one gun and be done with it, it's a good way to go. I'm reasonably sure that you can also shoot the cheaper .22LR ammo through it too.

They are not bad guns at all, but if you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks, I would suggest both a ruger 10/22 for getting used to a firearm, and a 12 pump for hunting

Originally posted by Cranked:

[QBThere's a lot to be learned when handling firearms, and I'd recommend that he hit the safety course first before doing anything with that weapon.[/QB]

aye...I went plinkin for the first time this summer with my uncle (ex prison warden in CT, maximum security)

we shot all sorts of guns(ruger .22, s&w .357, colt army single action .44 magnum, to name a few), and afterwards he had me clean them all...its a great way to learn, and the only way you can learn to respect a firearm is to experience the power

I saw a post on another forum I visit. I do not know much about guns, so sorry in advance if this is not what you need.

i hope firearms are ok to post, never have before.

i have the following for $250, i am located in NE Ohio and want to avoid shipping these, so someone in the area would be preferred, thanks.

Mossberg 500 pump shotgun in EC, 6 shot capacity, has Pachmyer rubber pistol grip and forearm, 20" rifled slug barrel with sights, 6 shot sidesaddle ammo holder.

extras with it:

Dockosil hard carry case, full size, like new.

soft shotgun case.

shotgun cleaning kit.

105 rounds of 12 gauge ammo (#6, 00 magnums, slugs).

all in great shape, with the pistol grip it will fire 4" groups at 25 yards with slugs, controllable even with the 00 magnums, #6 feels like a .22 going off. very controllable/accurate and handy, a great gun.

pjhead@aol.com

Q:Does the shotgun come with a full (wood) stock too, or just the pistol grip?

A:just the Pachmyer set, no wood.