Stalling when I launch?

Buck531

Ok.. hopefully someone here has an answer..maybe.

At Norwalk yesterday. I put my slicks on. Go to stage.. power brake it up to 3500ish (I have a 3800 stall TC). Go to launch, and as soon as I put the pedal to the floor, the car stalls.. just completely dies.

Now, when I go below 3k (like around 2500ish), it's fine. Launches and I'm on my way.

Would could possibly cause that? I've heard it was electrical.. but where? PCM related?

I thought about this just now. The track was too sticky for the higher stall. Meaning. As soon as I floored it and it tried to grip, it gripped so much that the car couldn't handle it and just turned off.

Does that make any sense? cause it sure as hell doesn't to me.

graemlins/doh.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

Originally posted by Buck531:

Ok.. hopefully someone here has an answer..maybe.

At Norwalk yesterday. I put my slicks on. Go to stage.. power brake it up to 3500ish (I have a 3800 stall TC). Go to launch, and as soon as I put the pedal to the floor, the car stalls.. just completely dies.

Now, when I go below 3k (like around 2500ish), it's fine. Launches and I'm on my way.

Would could possibly cause that? I've heard it was electrical.. but where? PCM related?

I thought about this just now. The track was too sticky for the higher stall. Meaning. As soon as I floored it and it tried to grip, it gripped so much that the car couldn't handle it and just turned off.

Does that make any sense? cause it sure as hell doesn't to me.

graemlins/doh.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

Makes perfect sence... its like trying to drop a clutch in a Sube and expect it to just roll out of the hole... unless the power is there, itll bog way down... in your case, it died.

It depends on the design of the TC. Stall is a function of torque, not speed. Call the manufacturer and give them your specs. They can give you a recomendation as far as what you need to be running with slicks, and let you know if that is normal. Do you have a dyno graph you can post?

What's odd is that I could launch at 3500+ when I was in Michigan a month ago. Everything was fine.

Yesterday, I torqued it up to 3500 on the street and let go and it just went. Didn't stall or anything.

Well Norwalk is a very sticky track. My guess would be that your car isn't making enough power to overcome the rolling resistance. The rolling resistance is huge for sticky track.

I highly doubt it would be something with the PCM, if you can load it up to 3500 RPM everywhere except Norwalk. What is some of the info on the torque converter? Does it has a converter clutch (i.e. locks up)? The PCM will dump the lock up if it sees certain situations, like braking. It could also be that the converter clutch is locking up right away and you aren't getting the torque mangnification that a toque converters does with fluid.

Guest rperry74
Also, were the slicks any taller than your regular street tires, a gear ratio difference because of tire height could bog it down and make the problem even worse.

Originally posted by rl:

Is it dead stalling or sputtering? I've seen inertia cutoff switchs do that.

Car just shut off, like I just turned the ignition switch to off (all the other lights and stuff stayed on).

One time i did launch, it died, then somehow came back on a split second later and I went.

Car just shut off, like I just turned the ignition switch to off (all the other lights and stuff stayed on).

One time i did launch, it died, then somehow came back on a split second later and I went.

Bypass your inertia cutoff switch (in the trunk, has a red reset button on it, just coneect the 2 wires going into it but make sure they are both 12v+ first)

Your car has plenty of power to launch with slicks, something else is going on.

Originally posted by rl:

Bypass your inertia cutoff switch (in the trunk, has a red reset button on it, just coneect the 2 wires going into it but make sure they are both 12v+ first)

Your car has plenty of power to launch with slicks, something else is going on.

The what? I don't believe there's anything like that in the trunk (that I've noticed).. even when I take all the carpet out, there's no wires there.

The what? I don't believe there's anything like that in the trunk (that I've noticed).. even when I take all the carpet out, there's no wires there.

Its gotta have an inertia kill switch somewhere. It kills the fuel pump when you get in an accident. They have a reset button on them - when you launch hard it can cause them to shut the fuel pump off for a second.

Hmm.. maybe Greenie might have some insight on this.. he's pretty freakin' knowledgeable about these cars smile.gif ..

Thanks RL..

On a side note.. while at norwalk, when I turned off the car, the temp guage would peg to like 260-270. After I fixed my speaker issue on Saturday (had to re-make the RCA jacks for the amp) it was normal again. Incredibly strange and I'm not even sure if it's related or not.

maybe you should race a "RACE" car not a family car ,"not a dig" just maybe its not ment to be raced. Keep it in the carpool lane and buy a diff buick, if thats your brand of choice but that is impressive dyno sheet for what it is

Originally posted by NTHER91:

maybe you should race a "RACE" car not a family car ,"not a dig" just maybe its not ment to be raced. Keep it in the carpool lane and buy a diff buick, if thats your brand of choice but that is impressive dyno sheet for what it is

graemlins/jerkit.gif

Maybe you could just get out of this thread?

Originally posted by rl:

Its gotta have an inertia kill switch somewhere. It kills the fuel pump when you get in an accident. They have a reset button on them - when you launch hard it can cause them to shut the fuel pump off for a second.

that takes a fair amount of inertia, but i gueas it would be posible. we had a crown vic that had that problem once at ntb, frm the impact wrench setting it off.

Originally posted by BIG SHAFE:

Well Norwalk is a very sticky track. My guess would be that your car isn't making enough power to overcome the rolling resistance. The rolling resistance is huge for sticky track.

I highly doubt it would be something with the PCM, if you can load it up to 3500 RPM everywhere except Norwalk. What is some of the info on the torque converter? Does it has a converter clutch (i.e. locks up)? The PCM will dump the lock up if it sees certain situations, like braking. It could also be that the converter clutch is locking up right away and you aren't getting the torque mangnification that a toque converters does with fluid.

doubtfull of the lock up. most transmisions that have a tcc lock up have valving that will disable the tcc lockup mechanicly or hydaulicly while in first gear. if it is the tcc, then there is a problem with the valveing interaly on the tranny. (left out a check valve when instaling a shift kit or something like that)

Originally posted by NTHER91:

please stop talking.