2g dsm brakes or bigger on a 1g dsm

Guest 1sweet3.4

Guest 1sweet3.4
I have an AWD turbo laser(1992). I have been wanting to upgrade brakes to a larger caliper(dual piston)/rotor. Now i have a reason as the car has 143,000 miles on it and the right rear brake caliper has siezed. I have heard of people putting 2g AWD brakes on the front of their cars, but what about the rear? Ideally I would like the biggest set of brakes I can likely find in a junkyard, so any ideas are welcome. I heard someone put the non turbo 3000gt brakes on their car. I have 16 inch rims. Any suggestions are welcome. If the stock 92 front calipers and rotors will fit on the rear that would be helpful too. and pretty damn cool.

Yeah, the rears were all the same. They just used different proportioning valves when the fronts were changed.

Check out http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-brakes.html

That should tell you everything you need to know unless you are going with something drastic like a big brake kit or making your own mounting bracket for a different caliper.

Guest 1sweet3.4
Making my own bracket is tempting as I have all the tools necessay to do so and all the finite measuring tools, but I'll check out that link. thanks guys.

Guest aftermidnight
we put a complete 300gt set-up(front and rear) on my friend's eclipse. the rear was just un-bolting the spindle and swapping it for a factory disc setup with the bigger rotors and 3000gt mounts and calipers. the front was a caliper mount, caliper, and rotor swap. i think he has like $150 in all. stops like a pissed off indy car.....100-0 in a split second

Originally posted by aftermidnight:

we put a complete 300gt set-up(front and rear) on my friend's eclipse. the rear was just un-bolting the spindle and swapping it for a factory disc setup with the bigger rotors and 3000gt mounts and calipers. the front was a caliper mount, caliper, and rotor swap. i think he has like $150 in all. stops like a pissed off indy car.....100-0 in a split second

That's tempting. I had heard that you could do this, but didn't know the details. Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming you are talking about a Turbo 3si? So you actualy swaped the spindel out on the rear, not sure if I'm reading that right or not?

Guest aftermidnight
Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

That's tempting. I had heard that you could do this, but didn't know the details. Thanks for the info.

I'm assuming you are talking about a Turbo 3si? So you actualy swaped the spindel out on the rear, not sure if I'm reading that right or not?

it was actually a non-turbo car. the spindle is really easy to swap. maybe 20min per side iirc

Cool, just wondering. According to that page the 91+ non-turbo 3si brakes are the ones this guy is talking about. They are supposed to be the same as 93+ DSM AWD fronts and 92-96 Diamante fronts. They are all the 2 piston 'big brakes'.

I was just trying to clarify what you were saying with the rear. As of right now lots of stuff, including the rear trailing arms are off. Bearings are one of the many things I will be replacing so the spindle will be coming out.

Are you talking about a FWD DSM that you swapped them onto? The suspension in the back is much different. I don't think the spindles look the same (I'm AWD).

Guest 1sweet3.4
yeah, aftermidnight was your buddies car an AWD? if so that'd be a pretty sweet deal. Also, where would be the best junkyard for 3000 gt's? So, non turbo 93 and up 3000 donor car. front rotors and calipers (including the mounts) and the rear spindles from same car will all bolt right into an awd car? If so I'm pretty well sold on the idea. that plus the rear end would be my spending cash for cars but damn it'd be worth it. I checked most of the junkyards around delaware and none of them have anything but camaros and mustangs. no gts and no dsms.

Guest aftermidnight
his is not an awd....iirc, he replaced the rear spindles to get disc's in the rear. then all he did was use the 3000gt rear caliper mounts, calipers, and rotor to complete the swap. i'm not 100% on the capatability of rear brake components between the fwd and awd. i will ask him tonight and see whats what though.

Edwin, go read that page. It says you supposedly don’t get much of an increased effect from the non-turbo 3si rear brakes. The disc are bigger, but the sweep area is less, effectively negating each other. If that is true the only effect you get is more rotational mass in the rare. This should give you more cooling though. To top that off, the ebrake on 3si's aren't integral to the caliper, they are a drum brake that is integral to the hub (I think), so you lose the ebrake.

Also, if you stick with stock rear brakes and get the 2-piston big brakes, you can get a proportioning valve that is correct for your car.

I bet that car you worked on was FWD pat.

Edwin, go read that page!!! It's 93+ up AWD DSM's, or 91+ non-trubo 3si's, or 92-96 Diamantes (according to that page), they are just talking about the front too.

Guest aftermidnight

Edwin, go read that page. It says you supposedly don’t get much of an increased effect from the non-turbo 3si rear brakes. The disc are bigger, but the sweep area is less, effectively negating each other. If that is true the only effect you get is more rotational mass in the rare. This should give you more cooling though. To top that off, the ebrake on 3si's aren't integral to the caliper, they are a drum brake that is integral to the hub (I think), so you lose the ebrake.

Also, if you stick with stock rear brakes and get the 2-piston big brakes, you can get a proportioning valve that is correct for your car.

I bet that car you worked on was FWD pat.

Edwin, go read that page!!! It's 93+ up AWD DSM's, or 91+ non-trubo 3si's, or 92-96 Diamantes (according to that page), they are just talking about the front too.

good point on the e-brake. i remember we made adapters for the e-brake cables though. i would read the page just see what all they say. correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rear just a swap out hub process. the difference is the backing plate for the drums vs. just a "blank" hub for the discs?

Originally posted by aftermidnight:

[QBgood point on the e-brake. i remember we made adapters for the e-brake cables though. i would read the page just see what all they say. correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the rear just a swap out hub process. the difference is the backing plate for the drums vs. just a "blank" hub for the discs?[/QB]

Not sure, I've never looked at it before. Just going by what that page said. I'll have to find my DSM Manula CD later and look at all of the different setups (FWD DSM vs AWD DSM vs Non-Turbo 3si) and I will post pictures if I can figure it out.

Guest aftermidnight

Not sure, I've never looked at it before. Just going by what that page said. I'll have to find my DSM Manula CD later and look at all of the different setups (FWD DSM vs AWD DSM vs Non-Turbo 3si) and I will post pictures if I can figure it out.

iir, the cable hooks up in the opposite direction but there's enough play for the re-route. it's been a while since i saw it and i might be wrong but i think thats what it was.

Guest 1sweet3.4
read that page, my reasoning for the gt brakes was the cooling factor but too many negatives. Think I'll just do the big brake swap and put slotted rotors on fron and back after i rebuild rear caliper. that page had some cool stuff. the shifter mod might not be a bad idea either.

Originally posted by the voyeur-ager kid:

read that page, my reasoning for the gt brakes was the cooling factor but too many negatives.

Do you mean the rear 3si brakes? The front 91+ non-turbo 3si are the 2 piston 'big brakes' according to that page.