short throw?

Guest steven

Guest steven
i have a 1G awd 5spd tsi and i have a donor car awd 91 with a short throw i was told by two people that it will be to hard on my trans and if i miss a gear i will ruin my trans i need some opions from people who have short throws

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Ricochet:

If I were you I'd just cut a couple inches off the stock one and spend the saved money on a hex screw-locking shift knob.. Same effect

Not same effect. Short throw shifters have different pivot points that actually change the distance of the throw when changing gears. The actual length of the shifter might not even be shorter, but because of the change in the pivot point, the throw will be shorter.

Guest racinbird

Put one on my Z28 and love it, night and day. I don't know if Hondas are similar on style, but Im sure it would have the same effect on your set-up.

Originally posted by Tulo:

Not same effect. Short throw shifters have different pivot points that actually change the distance of the throw when changing gears. The actual length of the shifter might not even be shorter, but because of the change in the pivot point, the throw will be shorter.

Not so true, depends on what you are adding. A short throw stick bolts onto the exsisting shifter and is just shorter, may have a slightly different angle, but the less length gives it a less distance to shift.

A entire shifter assembly has the pivot point

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Some of them cause the tranny to grind in Hondas, so I'd imagine other cars could have problems with them too. If I were you I'd just cut a couple inches off the stock one and spend the saved money on a hex screw-locking shift knob.. Same effect, more reliable, but without the polyurethane bushings some kits come with there will still be play while in gear.. whoopty doo though.

With the Steeda Tri-ax in the stang it cut down dramatically on grinding and the infamous 3rd gear miss.

I would wait and base your decision on the advice of people who actually own 1st gen DSM's

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1sweet3.4
you guys are forgetting that the DSM have cable linkage. so unlike the fbody that was a direct connection to the top of the tranny and needs an entire shifting unit to change throw length, the DSM just has to change the ratio of length of stick above pivot to length below. Your stock shifter should be ridiculously tall. take the knob off and try a different knob. i did that and changed the feel of the shifter. Some short throws do have negative effects of the shifting because of poor design. also your shifter plate has rubber grommets underneath it that are prolly allowing your shifts to be sloppy. check out www.vfaq.com adn search for the shifter stuff. pretty good info.

if you cut the shifter making it shorter it will make your throw shorter.

draw a triangle upside down and imagine the left side as first gear and the right as second. measure the distance at the top and measure the distance somewhere in the middle. reference this to making a stick shorter...