civic engine swap

ScoobyMcPot

im not a import person either, but i do know a little. ricohet is right on this. b16 is the best engine to turbo (lowest compresson). h22 are a good strong engine but harder to come accross and more money in it. i believe they came in the earlier preludes as the b16 came from integra's and a few others. b16 is also a direct easy swap.

Guest ronald-reagan
Originally posted by still2high:

im not a import person either, but i do know a little. ricohet is right on this. b16 is the best engine to turbo (lowest compresson). h22 are a good strong engine but harder to come accross and more money in it. i believe they came in the earlier preludes as the b16 came from integra's and a few others. b16 is also a direct easy swap.

not to come in here and bust some balls (you did say you werent an import guy), but the h22 is about half as expensive as the b16. you can score a full swap from a few different places for about $2000, where i believe a b16 is up around the $4500 range...brian correct me if im wrong...

i used to be a huge fan of the h22...ive seen what it can do in a del sol and its nothing short of kick ass, but ricochet pretty much laid the +'s and -'s out for you. what it boils down to is whether you want a daily driver or not. the b16 is going to be a great everydayer where the h22 is going to handle like shit, leak/burn oil, and require quite a bit of suspension mods. want to hear me bitch more about my h22, PM me...

I am an import guy,

IMO the b18b (ls) is the best engine to boost. It has more tq than the b16, has lower compression, and has been tested to put down 280whp a stock block with hondata. If you are buying a b16 for 4500, it must be a type R because ive seen them for about 2000. H22 is a bitch, Rico amd Ron got it right, it will go fast in a line, but not a daily driver. As for help, www.slowmotionmotorsports.com I'm very happy with them, great group to work with.

I'd go with the H22, but I'm bias. Everyone always says "have fun turning it", but from experience it's hardly any different. So don't let the "turning" issue play a part. If you want big numbers I'd go with the H22, but it's a harder swap (physically, not wiring) and you have less room. B18-16....aah who cares.

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Ricochet:

Kenny, All integras have B18's, and B16's came only in Civics smile.gif Just a useless fyi.

Didnt the 2nd generation integra gsr have a b16?

Originally posted by Ricochet:

He didn't ask about boost so I didn't really touch on that too much, but yes, an LS (B18B) engine would be the best one for that and they're really cheap too.

Kenny, All integras have B18's, and B16's came only in Civics smile.gif Just a useless fyi.

The B16A's (Si engines) are like $2400 for a complete swap. H22's are cheaper than that, like $2000-$2200. If you want a GS-R (B18C1) engine, you'll still need to get a set of motor mounts from hasport, but will wire right in for the most part unless it's a jdm engine. They are fun, torquey motors though.

The overpriced B16B Civic Type R engine is what I have, and if I knew then what I know now I would have gone LS/turbo.

actually the B18C1 doesn't need special mounts to go in a 93.my old 93Si worked fine i just can't remember if i used the integra mounts,or the civic mounts.i'm thinking integra.and then replaced them with prothane mounts,but again...don't remember the application on the mounts.

thanks for all the help, the car is going to be driven daily and i know where i can get a full h22 swap for about 2700...

I also have a b16 for about 2300...

thats why this decision is hard and im not gonna have the money to turbo it for awhile and i want something fun to drive.

Thanks for all the help everybody:

Colin

I think reading this topic made me stupid.

Go H22, it will dominate the B16 in everyway. Its like comparing a Corvette to a Metro, which one would you take? After all said and done the H22 will cost a little more but hey its worth it. They make harnesses and everything for that swap now so it is pretty much just the same as any other B series swap besides the linkage. And for people saying it will handle like shit, you obviously havent rode in one. Ive been in H22 tegs and civics and they dont handle any different than any other motor on the STREET.

And just to clarify something on the 2nd gen tegs. in the US they came with B18A's from 90-93 and they also had the B17(practically a B16) which was in the GSR from 92-93. B16's were in integras, but only in Japan

if your serious i can maybe get you a strong running, b16 with intake, header, tranny and all for less than a grand. let me know if your interested and ill talk to my friend and see if he would sell it.

brandon

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Damn $2700? I had the whole swap + a vafc for $2200, in perfect condition, JDM yO engine. But it's sold smile.gif . Steve's right in the honda world H22 > *

My buddy bought your swap for his 4th gen lude and it made his F22 look like a B16 tongue.gif