Painting the inside of a motor

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Felt this was a new topic, so here we are.

Originally posted by Desperado:

I am trying to figure out why the idea of painting the inside of the motor is a wiseass idea. It IS done, alot. It is sujested that the interior of high perf motors be cleaned up, the casting flach all be removed and the drainback holes enlarged then the interior be painted with a couple of coats to smooth the surfaces to assist in the drainback of oil into the pan.

Really? I was being a wiseass, I was going to use that as a lead in to another lame joke about interior and exterior paint being different.

How high performance are you talking; "I'm building my own motor and this is something to do while I'm waiting for a part to come in" OR "I just spend $50,000 on a motor that could get me $500,000 in sponsorships and painting the inside is worth it."?

One thing to consider, painting the lifter valley of a v configured engine is often done to decrease oil drainback time. The smooth surface of the paint allows oil to flow back to the pan much faster. But what most people don't think about is how the lifter valley acts as a oil cooler, As the oil flows down the lifter valley heat is extracted from the oil to the block and then to the coolant in the water jackets. Decreasing the time the oil is in contact with the lifter valley increases the oil's temp. Acceptable in a drag racing engine but not in a street or road race engine.

I've painted several of my own, and helped with a few people's. I considered the increase in oil temp, but since I have always used 2-3 qt. larger-than-stock oil pans, I think the increase in volume more than makes up for it.

Plus, it looks so damn sexy. tongue.gif

The inside of cast iron blocks have historically had alot of problems with pieces faling off, and into the oil. Not sure about more modern engines, but I know almost all old school racers used to paint the inside to keep debrit from making its way off of the metal and into the oil.

Guest nevarmore

So would sanding it smooth serve the same as painting it?

Originally posted by Doug:

uhh how do you see it?

If you have to ask you aren't cool enough to look at it. :D