got a new engine(used, but im gonna rebuild it) need specs

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

Got 350 from a 96 1500 pickup

Need to know cam specs, compression ratio, roller or flat tappet cam, factory horsepower rating

dont have engine yet, picking it up thursday

i need an engine stand if someone wants to sell one

if you know this stuff, please tell me

hi guys im back, had a comp virus, glad to be back

[ 25. August 2004, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Jesus Hates Me ]

Guest FBody Addict

didnt make a TPI 350 in 86 except for corvettes, (hard to find in junkyards) would that comp work or should i pull one from like an 87 IROC or other, even though the MAF sensor and a few others are different

know a good inexpensive machine shop to do heads and head to block surface?

im gonna hone the cylinders myself

[ 26. August 2004, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Jesus Hates Me ]

does the motor in your car right now have TPI?

if it does.... you can bolt it right on the 350 and chip it or if its going to be stock get a 350 computer.

good and inexpensive are two words that never go with machine shop in the same sentnece. you get what you pay for.

heres what you can do yourself to save money

check the block deck and head surfaces yourself with a metal straightedge and a feeler guage if its flat leave it alone you get into intake manifold fitment problems when you mill the block surface.

your going to want to get the bottom end balanced if your going to spin it over 5k. you should also get the crank and rod journals polished, champhered and crossdrilled to improve oil flow.

don't ask other people about machine shops walk into a few and ask questions work with the shop you feel comftorble with.

Originally posted by Jesus Hates Me:

if i use the stock manifold from my 305, will i need larger injectors?

Wasn't the 350 in the 96 GM trucks a Vortec motor? I think it was. If so, I think that requires the use of a Vortec intake manifold. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS OR ASS:

centerbolt valve cover heads all use the same manifold

Thank you. I thought it had something to do with the alignment of the intake ports in the head as compared to the manifold. The Vortec head being different from other GM designs. Guess not, huh?

Guest FBody Addict

not a vortech, just a throttle body injection, but someone told me my manifold wont bolt to the 96 block and heads without some work due to bolts angled differently, my block is 4 corner bolt valve covers, not centerbolt, will that create other problems?

also, what size are the intake and exhaust valves?

[ 26. August 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Jesus Hates Me ]

if you have the old style perimiter bolt valve cover heads your intake manifold won't work at all on the new motor. you either need a tpi or a throttle-body manifold from a later model car/truck. centerbolt heads flow better than the ones on your car now but if your trying to go fast ditch um and buy a good set of aluminum heads. you'll save money buying good heads vs porting the stockers and you'll get more bang for the buck.

Guest FBody Addict
what was the webpage with the 4 valve bolt on heads? the one someone (i believe you did) mentioned in the kitchen in the pushrod engines, what are you thinking thread