How to transfer a title....

SchmuckGirl

so if my mom gives me a car i have to pay tax on it when its titled in my name? essentially same situation except one is giving a bike and one is paying cash for one.

i call BS. a gift is a gift, and cash is cash.

Technically if you are given a car as a gift the donor or the donee are supposed to pay taxes on it if it exceeds the annual exclusion amount.

The situation she is describing is completely different. At least the last time I looked into it, trades that are alike and of equal value are tax free, but when one exceeds the other or when cash is involved taxes are supposed to be paid.

I have bought a couple of bikes and gotten really good deals ;) the state will send you a letter and say "hey you got a great deal you arent stealing from us are you?" Then you call them and say "hey asses the bike was in shit shape and I had to put new plastics on it and paint it. " then they say "oh thats cool I'll mark it down" then you say "thanks playa" and it is done!!!!

Technically if you are given a car as a gift the donor or the donee are supposed to pay taxes on it if it exceeds the annual exclusion amount.

The situation she is describing is completely different. At least the last time I looked into it, trades that are alike and of equal value are tax free, but when one exceeds the other or when cash is involved taxes are supposed to be paid.

the annual exclusion amount is like 10000 dollars. im guessing her bike cost less than that minus the trade.

Woo hoo! Finally had a break in the weather to make the trade tonight. This is a whole different ball game, folks. Thank you to everyone who gave me the thoughtful advice as to what to expect cause this bike is NOT very much like my 500.... I'm like a proud mother, here's pics:

2858854660103430119S425x425Q85.jpg

2969553960103430119S425x425Q85.jpg

2699482270103430119S425x425Q85.jpg

Oh, and the smudges on the white fairing are where she accidently dragged her shoe across? and apparently it left a mark? Anyway, I worked on it with some goo gone and it's not completely eradicated but my arm got tired so I'll try again later.

Oh, and the smudges on the white fairing are where she accidently dragged her shoe across? and apparently it left a mark? Anyway, I worked on it with some goo gone and it's not completely eradicated but my arm got tired so I'll try again later.

Try some WD-40 too.

THAT BIKE IS HOT! WOW! :eek: I love it! Now change your bike title under your screen name. ;)

yeah, but it's a trade (+cash) not a gift.

yeah but they dont need to know that. just gift them to each other IMO :) i mean, isnt that all a trade really is? i give you this, you give me that. who is to say they are not both gifts exchanged at the same time :)

yeah but they dont need to know that. just gift them to each other IMO :) i mean, isnt that all a trade really is? i give you this, you give me that. who is to say they are not both gifts exchanged at the same time :)

Of course I'm really playing the devil's advocate here...

That works fine unless the amount of cash also exchanging hands is above a certain amount and deposited in a large chunk then the IRS is notified anyway. Technically I think that in a trade or gifting you still have to submit a form to the IRS whether or not it's below the annual exclusionary amount.