Stupid Timing Question 94GT

Kevin R.

I have a 94 GT and am borrowing a timing gun this weekend to see what she's currently at. What would be a good point to bump it up to being a stock car?

Also, how do you change your timing once you find what it is set at? A detailed explanation would be GREATLY appreciated as I am not the best with engines.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

-Kevin R.

i ran 20* on my set up, but i'd say you would be good with the 14-15* area and i would run 91-93 in ur car, especially on hotter days. increasing your timing will make ur car run hotter.

how to:

first find ur distributor, 2nd locate the wiring harness that plugs into it and trace it back a few inches where u will see a "pill box" that plugs in, should be gray or black in color. it is the timing advance chip and must be removed before setting ur base timing.

there should be a 1/2 head bolt holding down the distributor, loosen this up a lil so u can turn the dist but don not move it yet.

timing gun ready and clipped onto #1 plug wire, have someone start the car while u check the balancer for timing, turn it clockwise to advance, then turn it off, tighten up bolt and plug chip back in and if u here it detonating, turn it back down

Mark the balancer at 15* with any color that shows up real well so the timing mark is easy to see. The timing light is going to tell you were the spark plug will fire vs. piston location in crank degrees. If you want stop by JEGS on 11th any evening and I can show you on a balancer...ask for Randy. My typing is not that good....

Take care!