burning oil like crazy

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX
friday night i was drivin and my oil light came on so 1st thing sat i checked it and it was low.. not ready to be changed yet so we put 2 quarts in and it was fine. then on sunday the oil light came on agian, so i checked it once agian and it was low.... im not leaking or anything any idea of what it could be

Guest visualpoet
How low was it on Sunday? Are you blowing smoke all the time? It sounds like a blown head gasket to me, maybe you're dumping oil into the waterjackets. Check your coolant. A two quart dump over a couple of days is a major problem.

I agree 2 quarts in a few days would be a very tired engine. This would be indicated by alot of smoke comming from the tail pipe. If thats not the case check for leaks and check the coolant for oil. If theres 2 quarts in it it won't look to good at all.

Evan

Guest XxClipSeRacNxX
the coolant is good... i dont think theres smoke comin out of the exhaust.. and im posative im not leaking... i been checking everytime i pull away, could it be the piston rings??

Guest visualpoet
Piston rings would make you smoke. It's gotta be going somewhere. When you checked the coolant did you check the level, or look for contamination? You'd know if that much oil was burning off through the pipes, it would be a smokescreen behind you! You said you're checking when you pull away? have you tried slipping a sheet of cardboard under the engine when it's parked and looking at that after it's been sitting? Checked under the hood for evidence of spraying? You could only be losing it when it's running, so there could only be a few drops after you park.