R 134a Capacity

Awfulcanawful

Ive got a 1996 silverado with a 350 that a teacher here at school is a dumbass and let all my refigerant out. We tried to rechard it and put in what i thought is a lot but it still doesn't cool right..... anyone know how much this thing holds from empty?

Well the gauges aren't very much. You should just get one and check the pressure to see where it is now, and this way you won't overfill it. I know I put 3 whole cans in my Mustang and it was perfect.

Guest Tony_K

Most cars have a sticker somewhere underhood telling how many pounds it takes.

IIRC, with R134a, if you run the car w/AC on for about 5 minutes and then hold the engine to freeway-speed rpms for a couple of minutes, the high side should be around 230psi. Go get some cheapo gauges at autozone.

I'm curious to know how that stuff got vented. That's seriously dangerous.

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by Awfulcanawful:

thanks for all the help i got the guages on it. It just seemed like we were putting a lot in it. we have 30 psi in it now I might need to add a little more thanks.

Are you measuring the low (pressure) side or the high side? When adding refrigerant, measure the high pressure side. The valve will be in the half of the path that is after the compressor but before the evaporator or expansion valve (IIRC). I believe the low side valve is often located just before the compressor and the high side valve is sometimes near the receiver/dryer. ...Something like that...