cavalier air in coolant

Joe

so my sister has this POS cavalier that needed a coolant flush. I drained the coolant, and now that its time to fill it, it wont fill. Stupid ass GM didnt use a normal cooling system, they had to use one without a radiator cap. it has a little bleeder screw in the hard line to the heater core, but that does nothing. I can let the car run for a long time with the "overflow tank cap" off and there are no air bubbles coming out, but you can feel the coolant sloshing in the hoses. How the hell do you bleed the air from these piles?

I did that about 15 times Dave. Looks like I just wasnt patient enough.

As for the Vac system, I wont need one at work, and about all I work on are Lexus anyhow, so there is no real reason for it. we use this http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Spill-free-funnel-LIS22150.HTML Its amazing and I love it. too bad you cant use it on the stupid ass GM designs that dont have a friggin radiator cap to make filling easier.

Guest FBody Addict
i always just remove the thermostat cover, pour in antifreeze till just below the thermostat, put a piece of paper matchstick in the thermostat to keep it open and allow air to purge, replace cover, top off radiator, and do what rangerturbo does

Slow as Hell is pretty much right. I never forced the tstat open before though. I may try that sometime. You should be able to warm the coolant up by running the engine and then loosing a hose that is at a point above the rest of the system. That should release the air and pressure then you can add more water as needed.

Evan