LT1 question

Dave1647545494

is there a way to convert an LT1 to a standard type distributor in the back of the manifold and retain the efi?

I'm asking becuase I'm considering one for my 90 trans am but i'd like to use a normal distributor/belt driven reverse flow water pump to make it easier to work on. the car was origionally a tpi so by using a regular distributor I should be able to control the engine with a chipped tpi computer and the stock harness. if anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it

thanks

Guest boostedeco
I am about 99% positive the answere to your question is No. The distributer on the LT1 is the optispark which is on the front of the block under the waterpump. The only other route that i know of that you could go is get a coil on plug deal like what is on the LS1's. I have an LT1 sitting at home out of a 94 Z28 so i will look when i get home tonight just to make sure.

did some research

gm performance parts sells a block off plate to do the conversion.

another guy mods the manifolds to put the intake manifold on earlier style motors becuase it is almost indentical to the accel super ram and can be had for far less money.

I learned

stock tpi electronics will hook right up to the LT1 and control it with a custom tune manifold conversions are availiable and some of the parts are offered through gm

so now I guess the question is do I have to change the cam or is there a drive gear all ready there scince the oil pump is in the back.

thanks

Guest boostedeco
well i guess i am wrong. Just never seen/heard of anyone doing it. As for the cam i have no Idea if there is a gear back there for the distributer. I can ask a buddy of mine that did a cam swap on his LT1 if there is or you could just get on a F-body forum page and ask

I know that there is a carbed manifold that Edelbrock sells for an LT-1 that eliminates the EFI and uses a standard distributor. So it can be done. MSD is now selling an Optispark unit now as well that is a better built, better quality unit from what they are saying at least, and with the other MSd stuff I have seen I would tend to believe that.

I did some more checking. I just have to get the manifold machined and a spacer made theres a guy that does it pretty cheap. I thought this might not be a common swap but theres a bunch of guyd running LT1's in thirdgens already.

if anyone on heres has done this or tried it. hit me up so I can pick your brain.

thanks

More info for you:

- You can easily run a distributor on a stock PCM'd LT1. You simply machine the intake for a distributor (or run a single plane intake that already has the hole). Run the coil wire to the distributor, and there ya go. It will still use the Opti for the low/high res pulses the PCM needs, but eliminates the cap/rotor, which are the big weak points on the Opti.

- MSD doesn't sell an Optispark, just an expensive cap and rotor. Whether that is really worth upgrading to remains to be seen

- Even if you aren't using the old Opti, you don't have to remove it; it doesn't take up any valuable engine realestate, and isn't very big....cheaper than a block off plate, unless you can find a buyer for the used Opti.

you can buy an LT1 with 70k or so miles for about the same price as a tpi. its really not alot of work. you just send out the manifold and have it drilled for a distributor and almost all the wiring plugs in (some of the connectors are different) the tpi computer can't tell the difference so it'll run and then I can get a chip burned for the Lt1's more agressive cam profile.

this should be a fun low buck project with hopefully enough cash left to repaint the car(or put a bunch of nitrous on it:) ).

I should have it on the road late winter or early spring

Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

you sold your green Z?

got any left over speed parts? smile.gif

Dave,

I have some shortie SLP headers (best Short tube headers on the market for power but are an absolute nightmare to install!) I can sell ya ;)

Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

will they fit a thirdgen?

I was going to use hooker super comps for a thirdgen but if the price is right nothing is too hard to install smile.gif

I dunno... they fit an LT1... I have a stock y-pipe that you can probably fab to make it all come down....

Guest mudbutt
If you are using a tpi setup for it and want to boost it, you can use a cyclone computer and it will work good out of the gate. There is also good free software out like TunerPro to write a chip for it.