starts runs dies turbo 2.2 chrysler

Dave1647545494

Ok I converted the shadow from tbi to turbo mpfi now the trick to doing this is to wire all of the injectors together and batch fireing them with the tbi controller. the car starts right up and then dies. I have no trouble codes and everything apears to be wired properly. any ideas? I have spark and fuel it just shuts off.

Sounds like an injector resistance issue. I assume this has been done successfully in the past? I'd ohms test the injectors...

Also, a TBI pump should be running 9-17 PSI, while I'm sure your MPFI setup will require 35+ PSI. I'm sure you've changed the pump and are using an appropriate regulator? (I know you know what you're doing, just offering suggestions as they come to mind.)

Guest OmniSRT4
Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

Ok I converted the shadow from tbi to turbo mpfi now the trick to doing this is to wire all of the injectors together and batch fireing them with the tbi controller. the car starts right up and then dies. I have no trouble codes and everything apears to be wired properly. any ideas? I have spark and fuel it just shuts off.

Wiring all of the injectors together and running them off the TBI circuit is *not* "the trick to doing this".

First of all, the "trick" you mentioned is for the 3 people in history who decided to convert from TBI to *N/A* MPFI. You have to use low reistance 19lb/hr ford injectors.

When converting to TURBO you need to use a turbo fuel pump and lines, turbo injectors, and a turbo power and logic module. (2 injector drivers, not 1, batch fired in PAIRS)

Later

ah I see ok I talked to the guy on aim that did it he must have forgotten to mention the injectors. I have a turbo pump and lines and stuff its making 60psi static fuel pressure at the rail drops to about 50psi during cranking.

I'm trying it this way becuase to us a turbo harness and computer in a 94 I also have to rewire the dash and I'm trying to avoid that I'll try the samller injectors and see if it fires and then start looking for the rest of the wiring so I can rewire the dash to match the turbo harness I have.

thanks for your help

Guest OmniSRT4

ah I see ok I talked to the guy on aim that did it he must have forgotten to mention the injectors. I have a turbo pump and lines and stuff its making 60psi static fuel pressure at the rail drops to about 50psi during cranking.

I'm trying it this way becuase to us a turbo harness and computer in a 94 I also have to rewire the dash and I'm trying to avoid that I'll try the samller injectors and see if it fires and then start looking for the rest of the wiring so I can rewire the dash to match the turbo harness I have.

thanks for your help

Oh man, a 94. I didnt see that in your signature. That does make things more difficult because you have SBEC2.

The series method wont work for you. The 19lb/hr injectors dont flow enough for a boosted application. It wil start and run but wil be starved for fuel in boost.

Ok here is what you do...

Get an SBEC1 from a 2.5T or the like and run 2 SBEC's. Leave the 94 sbec in for yall of your dash controls and use the SBEC1 to control the engine functions (with appropriate turbo wiring attached).

This works. Its been done in a 94 minivan.

so would it be easier just to conver the dash wiring to a 90/91 sbec setup. I also have a turbo computer and harness from an 88 I don't mind rewiring the dash. I'm try to be as simple as possible. I'l look for the appropriate turbo computer though. I don't suppose you have alink or know anymore about how they piggybacked two computers together do ya?

thanks

Guest OmniSRT4

so would it be easier just to conver the dash wiring to a 90/91 sbec setup. I also have a turbo computer and harness from an 88 I don't mind rewiring the dash. I'm try to be as simple as possible. I'l look for the appropriate turbo computer though. I don't suppose you have alink or know anymore about how they piggybacked two computers together do ya?

thanks

I could look it up if I was so inclined. smile.gif

Guest OmniSRT4

19 pounders fixed it

thanks again need to hook up an af meter and a boost guage and see what she does

Keep the boost low. (not much fuel in those)

Stockers are 33lb/hr