Chevy 305 V8 HEI distb w/ carb...NO SPARK!

zeitgeist57

Well, after getting rid of my '86 C10, now my better-condition '85 just crapped out on me this weekend! :mad::mad::mad:

I was driving to Cleveland and back, and just 5 miles from home (after driving 300 miles for a week) the engine just literally crapped out on me. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to start it. It cranked and tried to grab a run, but never got to sputter on it's own. I killed the switch and towed it home.

Now, in my driveway, I replaced the cap and rotor (heavy carbon tracking) as well as the coil and, most importantly, a new ignition module. There is NO SPARK. The engine cranks all day long (new battery), and there is great grounding to the block, frame and battery. I don't know why it died Saturday night but it's now Tuesday and I have no clue why it has no spark.

PLEASE HELP!!! :(

[ 17. November 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Zeitgeist ]

I GOT IT RUNNING!!!

It was the magnetic pickup assembly at the base of the rotor shaft. Tested it at Advanced...no resistance (resistance should be 800-1500 ohms). Put a new one in for $23 and the truck started RIGHT up with no stutter. It runs perfectly now. I'm really happy! smile.gif

I put a new ignition module in, new cap and new rotor too...just for safe measure ;)