Subframe installation shop?

hpfiend

Hey all,

This is my first post- From C-bus originally- went away for way too much school- back, married, and hipo cars obsession still strong. Used to have an LT1 Firebird now have a 5.0 fox mustang- Go figure.

So... Who knows of a good shop to install subframe connectors- preferably with a drive-on lift. I also need my torque boxes welded and possibly some reinforcements welded in...

Thanks a lot,

hpfiend

Thanks Anthony

hpfiend, I'm afraid you may have been misinformed about correct subframe connector installation. Welding them in on a drive on lift may seem like the best way to do it because they would go in as if the car was on the ground, but if you take into consideration the 10+ year old springs and bushings, tire pressure fluctuation, and former abuse of the chassis, it becomes clear that there is a better way. To be done properly requires strategic placement of four or more jackstands, a variety of different thicknesses of shim stock, and an accurate level.

There is always more than one way to do something, but if it's worht doing, it's worth doing right.

Originally posted by Tinman:

Thanks Anthony

hpfiend, I'm afraid you may have been misinformed about correct subframe connector installation. Welding them in on a drive on lift may seem like the best way to do it because they would go in as if the car was on the ground, but if you take into consideration the 10+ year old springs and bushings, tire pressure fluctuation, and former abuse of the chassis, it becomes clear that there is a better way. To be done properly requires strategic placement of four or more jackstands, a variety of different thicknesses of shim stock, and an accurate level.

There is always more than one way to do something, but if it's worht doing, it's worth doing right.

Tinman,

There is no doubt you know your chit. I am not really disagreing with what your saying BUT if your chassis is that far out of wack something needs strightened or replaced. If you do a car that is that wore out it wouldnt drive stright (if did when it was brought in) when your done.

Originally posted by 93_ChargedCobra_342:

Tinman,

There is no doubt you know your chit. I am not really disagreing with what your saying BUT if your chassis is that far out of wack something needs strightened or replaced. If you do a car that is that wore out it wouldnt drive stright (if did when it was brought in) when your done.

You are very correct, I just turned away a friend's 69 camaro due to the unibody being tweaked over 3/8". What I was referring to when I said "former abuse of the chassis" is the amount of additional flex common in most unibodys, especially fox bodys that have seen dragstrip passes without reinforcement. This must be addressed during the subframe connector install, and can not be delt with properly on a drive on lift.