91 grand am charging system

Clifford Automotive

I working on a 91 grand am that i just install all new ignition on. control module coil packs, everything....

guy picked the car up and drove it home.two days later called me back saying the car died. i had the car towed back to my shop, look a few things over, bad diode in the alternator. replaced alternator. kept the car for a day and drove it myself car died once again. found a bad fusible link going to the battery. replaced that. car seemed okay turn on accesories (all of them) car eventually died out just like before. the battery is new. everything on this car is new.

any ideas?

spupid question but did you double check all the + - connections. also i have seen were gm side post termanls will gouge the lead from the batt termnal and not give you a good connection, even if it is tight. look in the termnal they will corrode real bad inside the rubber and you cant see it with out opening them up

Originally posted by Ridenred27:

spupid question but did you double check all the + - connections. also i have seen were gm side post termanls will gouge the lead from the batt termnal and not give you a good connection, even if it is tight. look in the termnal they will corrode real bad inside the rubber and you cant see it with out opening them up

+1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rperry74
Stupid question, have you actually tested the battery? Even a new alternator will cook if the battery is in a bad state of charge. Doesn't crank over slow or anything does it? Also, how long does the car sit between starts and how long does it actually run before it gives up?

THE BATTERY IS BRAND NEW, I DO agree that a bad battery will cook an alternator. The car originaly sat for 4 years. It didnt run at all, this was the primary reason for it being at my shop. Sitting between starts can really be established at this point in time. The car will run for 5-10 minutes on a dead battery. When the battery was previously fully charged it went from west jeff to hilliard to clintonville to polaris before dieing, if that helps any.

I replaced the fusible link to the alternator and thought the problem was solved. Now being that it had a dead battery i boosted the car disconnected the booster and the car ran for about 7 min. Thats where that time frame comes into play. I have since fully charged the battery and put the car in the back of the shop. For all I know i may run great and not have a problem, but the car dieing out leads me to believe there is still something wrong.

The person that owns the car is wanting to sign the title over to me because I currently have 500 in parts into the car and I've got them at about 300 in labor. The car only has 53000 miles on it and is very clean except for one ding in the drivers door.

We bought several alternators for a friend of my wife. The GM alternators of that timeframe are weak. If you didn't opt for the AC Delco and bought the cheap one instead (read:REBUILT), then you may have just gotten another bad one. Take it back under warranty and fully charge the battery, then put another one in. Good luck.

Guest rperry74
I agree with Mensan, replace the alternator and recharge the hell out of that battery. As a matter of fact if there is even a question as to the integrity of the battery, swap one from another car that you know is good and give it hell. That is probably the only thing left unless it has some wierd ass wiring gremlins and then you should just get it outta there.

• 2 weeks later...