Amp section? In Onkyo TX-DS575 (home receiver) not working? Need help diagnosing!

Trouble Maker

Ok, so this thing is about four years old and I'm really not ready to buy a new receiver yet. I also wanted to keep this one when I got a new one for when I move into my own place to use in the bedroom. Really pisses me off that it's stopped working. Probably wouldn't be worth it to take it somewhere to get it fixed, when I could just put that few hundred bucks towards the new receiver I want. At any rate, onto what it does.

About four days ago I went to watch TV one night. The thing acted like it worked (front panel on, switches inputs, volume goes up and down), but I get no sound out of the speakers. Next day I wanted to listen to some music, worked fine (different audio input). Day after that, I try to turn it on and I get nothing. It acts like it wants to work, just nothing out of the speakers. It doesn't even make any noise. Also, when I go to play a DVD, it acts like the signal isn't there (doesn't auto select to DD or whatever signal is there when the movie starts). Last night I turned it on, worked for about 10 seconds, and then quit.

Any clues as to what’s wrong? How would I diagnosis this? Anyone know where I can find a schematic and/or PC board drawing for this thing?

TIA.

Anyone? I could really use the schematics and the pc board drawings for this. I'm going to bring it into work and a guy who used to be a tech at Sun is going to look at it with me and see what we can't find. Any help, even just leads as to where I might be able to get them (without paying Onkyo $$$ for them) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mr. 2:

I used to be a PC tech at Sun... untill they ran out of business. I know we've had to order the schematics on electronics from manufactures in the past. I wouldn't know how else to get them. Any way, sorry I don't have more information for you.

Yeah, this guy used to be an electronics (amps, receivers, etc.) tech. and he's older (~40), so it was probably before your time (or you might have known him).

Thanks for the input though.

Switching IC that passes the input signal from the jacks into the preamp sounds fried. If it has the auto input select and it's not changing, that leads me to believe that is the cause even more.

I haven't had a soldering iron hot in years, so looking at it personally ain't gonna do you much good. There might be a workaround though if it's a pain to fix. Try feeding a signal into the input side of tape2 or tape loop, this is typically where a signal processor would go into place like an equalizer or BBE unit. You may be able to at least use the AMP part of the unit that way. If nothing else to connect to a subwoofer output of a new unit, or as a dedicated amp to drive suround speakers.

Just a thought.

It currently switches between inputs, but sometimes one input will work, you switch to another one, then nothing works, even if you switch back.

I believe it might be the DSP chip, because when I turned it on last night, an analog input worked fine (which still goes through the DSP, even in stereo for crossover between mains and sub, but I always run in "5 channel stereo" anyways). I switched to a coax digital input to see if it would auto detect the DD signal and got nothing. When I switched it back to the analog input, there was still nothing coming out of the speakers.

This thing doesn't have a tape loop or I'd try that. Everything goes through the switching/DSP circuitry (AFAIK). I had not tried all inputs, but I'm pretty confident that the symptoms will be the same on all analog inputs (working for a little bit, then nothing). And the same on all digital sources (stops working all together). FYI, some newer receivers that are 'higher end' that do alot of DSP have an input they call a 'direct input' which bypasses all of that.

Not to say your assessment is wrong, it is more than likely an IC, something dealing with the preamp stages.

I'm ordering (well, actually Satan is because I don't have a pay pal account) a FSM from www.thecdguyz.com for $10!! It's not too extensive (only 29 pages), but appears to have most schematics and board drawings along with some diagnostic instructions. It is the FSM straight from Onkyo though; they just aren't super through with them I guess. It's on a CD in PDF format too, so that makes it nice. Should be here within 2 weeks (I guess they just take forever to deliver). I will post any updates as I make progress (or lack thereof).

Originally posted by BIG PAPA:

take it to electrasound on silver drive get an estimate.

Haha, the guy at work said half of the guys that used to work at SUN went there. Electrasound is an 'Onkyo Authorized Service Center', fyi, if you didn't know. I asked him if it would be a bad idea to go there and he just gave me one of 'those looks', as if I even had to ask with the stories he's told me. I'm not even going to dump the 50-75 it would take (probably) for them to diagnosis it. Let alone, if there is an IC that needs replaced, even more money. I'd bet it would cost $100-$200 to fix, just off of the top of my head. Not worth putting that money into a four year old $500 receiver, when I can just put that toward a new receiver (that I was looking to purchase anyways). Please don't take offense if you've had good luck with them and/or know anyone who works there. It's just like my car, no one but me or trusted friends work on it if I can help it.

I might call them anyways just to see what they might cost. It will probably be one of those ‘well, it can be anywhere from a small ass raping to a big one, but we won’t know till we get it in and charge you half of that small ass raping to diagnosis it.’

I bet the 6 (5.1) channel direct input bypasses what might be wrong. Just popped into my head, thanks for planting the seed Keith. Will try to see what that does when I get home. I could use it as a 5-channel amp then. I would still really like to use it as a real receiver, but at least it might not be useless. graemlins/thumb.gif