Please help. I am having transmission problems.

Ramsey

Would somebody please help me. I drive a 1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans am. I have the 2door coupe automatic transmission with t-tops. I also have the 5.7l V8 with a few modifications. I have the Jet stage 1 chip and the hooker cat-back exhaust system. Also I have smaller springs which put my car about one inch lower.

With that said here is my problem, it seems the that the transmission does not want to shift into higher gears. No matter what how fast I am going it is in the lowest gear possible. So, at 50 mph my tach is at 5000 rpms. I have yet to take it in for testing.

Here is what I have heard so for " a shift modulator on the tranny might have gone bad" or "could it be the tps sensor telling the computer that I am at wot?" I do no know what is wrong, so if someone could please help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the tips on posting.

[ 09. February 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: 98dirtybird ]

Steps to an intelligent post:

1. Form thought.

2. Convert thought into structured and cohesive sentences.

3. Use interrogatives and question marks when asking questions

4. Type thought in Word or WordPerfect. Run Spell and Grammar Check.

5. Correct errors.

6. Repeat step 4

7. Copy message and paste to this forums message box.

8. If you have to start the thread with "who gives a fuck", you are probably right and refrain from actually posting it.

9. Refrain from labeling work safe posts, "NOT WORK SAFE".

10. Post message.

have you actually run it up to redline? no matter if your car thinks it's at WOT or not, it's gonna shift at the performance shift points... Do you only have 1st gear? or 1st and 2nd? It sounds like you have a tranny problem... you might also want to check your vaccum lines.

Sounds like he lost 3rd and 4th possibly OD too. Try unhooking the battery to reset the computer to see if that helps the problem. The Jet chip would be my next suspect. I am not sure if it affects the shift points on the automatics or not, but I would unplug it to find out. Otherwise sounds like it is an internal problem.

Thank you for those suggestions. I have checked fluids and I ran it again, and first gear and second seem to be fine but when it tries to go into 3rd it feels like it disengages or slips. Now am still at work so it is hard to check these things, but I will give them a try. Does anybody know what vacuum lines i should check? I don’t see any that have come loose or cracked. The car only has about 45000 miles on it, if that helps.

transmision masters in reynoldsburg will look at it for free... if you have the 1-2 but the 2-3 slips the trans is most likely bad, however it is all electronically controlled by solenoids and whatnot. you might also see if someone on here with autotap or hp tuners can look at it for you.

I cleaned up most of this thread but left rotarded's post. try to post normally in the tech forum we will answer your questions if we can.

Thank you again.

Here is what I have done so far;

I have reset the batt. = nothing

I have checked the fluid = no discolor and level was fine.

I also drove again today and I don’t believe that it even goes into third. It goes zero to sixty no prob as long as it is Wide open throttle. didn’t wait to see what happens when it tries to go into third then, but if you drive it slow it will try to go into third but just rev up and back down to 2nd.

And thank you again.