Launching AWD

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

well, if all goes well, which it looks like, i will have a pretty fast/quick AWD, automatic to take to the track. What's the best way to launch it at the start?

Thanks

Cody

well im not an awd driver but i know with an automatic you hold the brake and give it enough gas that it doesnt move........like just gettin the rpms up enough that when its green all you gotta do i release the brake and hammer down...... but again i have never drivin an awd but i know that is how the pros do it with autos

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by BLACK ITR GUY:

well im not an awd driver but i know with an automatic you hold the brake and give it enough gas that it doesnt move........like just gettin the rpms up enough that when its green all you gotta do i release the brake and hammer down...... but again i have never drivin an awd but i know that is how the pros do it with autos

thats what i was thinking about, give it enough gas to get the engine to "whistle" if you know what i mean ;)

its like holding a dove, hold to tight you'll kill it, if you don't hold it too tight it'll fly away. you just gotta push the gas just enough

Yeah, he should when I get the new hydraulic tensioner and pully in and installed. Loose timming belt ownes me. graemlins/doh.gif

But yeah, the hold break give gas then go is the right way. You can also buy upgraded torque converters that lets you start at higher rpm's off the line.

Here's a good link for AT DSM's. Go to their links section to find out where to get upgraded AT related parts. ;)

http://www.ecanfix.com/users/atdsm/faq_torque01.htm

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by neco:

Yeah, he should when I get the new hydraulic tensioner and pully in and installed. Loose timming belt ownes me. graemlins/doh.gif

But yeah, the hold break give gas then go is the right way. You can also buy upgraded torque converters that lets you start at higher rpm's off the line.

Here's a good link for AT DSM's. Go to their links section to find out where to get upgraded AT related parts. ;)

http://www.ecanfix.com/users/atdsm/faq_torque01.htm

thanks man, i have this old old SCC mag, and there's a special on the 4g63 engine... i hope to smoooooth sailing soon. but most of the stuff in the mag, is on the T in the car, it's great. How much HP you think it has, btw?

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by neco:

Probably between 250 and 300 @ wheels. There should be that AWD dyno later this year. Get it on that to be sure.

definitley. they can tune it too right? if i know the exact date, i'll get the other mods on that'll need tuned before i run it...

Yeah, like I said, I can only guess a range. I don't know for sure. I was going on some cracked out HP calculator but they never work right and no option for AWD or trans type.

Now that I think of it... the lower number that the hp calculator gave out would be a good guess point.

Not sure on the HP figures at the wheels, being that it's untuned, you could always get a little more outta it with some good tuning.

As far as launching goes, be easy on it with that 3 bolt rear end, they don't like (or can't hold up to I should say) much beating on. 4 bolt rears are hard to find, and it's an auto, so the final drive is different.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by PEEDJOO:

u were sayin that u doubted his 300hp on a 16g. i never put it on the dyno, but i'm pretty sure i had just over 300. 12.6 @ 106

we shall see when I get my car back from IPS (be another week) slap it on the dyno at Quantum and take her to the track. can't wait.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lustful
i dunno about how you guys go about launching and awd dsm.. but from what i have read on 3si from all the TT guys, is to rev up to right before boost usually starts coming on and let it go... i would talk to turbojc... he has a stealth tt and he is a pretty good driver from what i understand. should be able to point you in the right direction

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if Many of you know who Aaron "pavo" Parsons is he had a quick auto 1g 11.65@117mph he had an upgraded tourqe converter and he launched by holding the break and gave it some gas and when the light went green he floored it, you can get ahold of him through columbus dsm on there is forum id is Auto1g for more info on hot to launch your car

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
the best way to luanch an auto any auto is to get staged then bring the motor up on the converter with the brake on. this means rev the engine up and hold it right at your rated stall speed. its probably around 2000 rpm if its all stock. wait for the second yellow light to come on and then mash the gas. you shouldn't have to pedal it or anything its AWD so you shouldn't get wheelspin if you do just keep getting in and out out of the htrottle till it hooks up. good luck

Originally posted by Dave Sigman:

the best way to luanch an auto any auto is to get staged then bring the motor up on the converter with the brake on. this means rev the engine up and hold it right at your rated stall speed. its probably around 2000 rpm if its all stock. wait for the second yellow light to come on and then mash the gas. good luck

graemlins/bubbrubb.gif Make sure you take your other foot off the brake graemlins/bubbrubb.gif

:cool: Later,

jay