3800 guys

Dave1647545494

according to comp cams website you can now directly order cams through them. they don't have much of a selection 2 n/a grinds and one for blower cars but it may be a little cheaper than going through a secondary vendor... I havn't looked into too far yet but thought I'd get the info out there

Originally posted by Shitaro:

what's the specs in their cams?

comp cams is one of the biggest cam vendors... I would imagine that they know what they are doing.

Their cam specs are decent, at best. The independent 3800 vendors have MUCH better on-shelf specs than comp.

Sorry, but they don't. Their cams are ground incorrectly on the snout resulting in a high failure rate. Yes, they know about it. No, they don't care. Many have told them about it and mysteriously all of the exact same failures are "install error."

But what do I know about 3800's? graemlins/thumbsdown.gifgraemlins/doh.gif

I'm just passing out information...

I use crower for everything, off the shelf cams are at best a compromise, and they are easy to deal with on custom grinds and technical support...

I think bucky is running a comp grind in his lumina with no ill effects...

Originally posted by O.G.:

I think bucky is running a comp grind in his lumina with no ill effects...

He is, it's a ZZP GT1 cam which is ground by Comp.

I didn't say they all have problems, because the amount that fail compared to the amount that don't is still large. However, it IS a problem and it DOES exist. I wouldn't use Comp for anything 3800 exclusive.

The valve springs, retainers, locks, and lifters are okay because they are actully made for the LS1 and Comp cares about the LS1. They don't give a shit about V6's, no matter how hard they try to act like it.

like I said I'm just passing out info.

I havn't seen anything out there that will suit what I want to do, and no one seems to care becuase its not front wheel drive, but thats no reason to help out my fwd handicapped friends smile.gif

I'll make a post when i see how this crower grind works out maybe they'll base line of blower cams on it or something...

Chris. Got any data/link/whatever to back that up? I'm not sure I'm aware of a Cam breaking (from anyone).

Anyways, I dropped a LOT of time switching to a Comp cam from a "competitor".

Just my .02.

But what do I know? I drive a Lumina ;)tongue.gif

Originally posted by Buck531:

Chris. Got any data/link/whatever to back that up? I'm not sure I'm aware of a Cam breaking (from anyone).

Yea, I have pictures and data from two motors that had a camshaft fail the exact same way. One was a VS cam, the other an XPZ. There have been dozens more failures, but these two guys were friends and they sent me the info I wanted.

I sent it all over to Cam Motion and the owner said "oh, yea, we've known about that all along and even told Comp about it. They don't really care." Remember, I wasn't just a Joe Dick off the street. I was a part of Intense and I/we had a good relationship with Cam Motion since they grind our cams.

The problem is, very basically, is they do not grind the snout - specifically the keyway - to proper spec. The keyway has play in it, and over time grinds the keyway out into a "u" shape and the hole gets big enough for they key to fall in. Bye bye motor.

It doesn't happen to all of them. Maybe just cams made on Fridays? graemlins/lol.gif

Let's see some pics of the cam that broke. Just curious.

They are at home on my dead server. Might take me a couple days, but I'll put them up.

Originally posted by n8:

Chris,

Is that what happend to Don F.'s car, before he bought the race block?

Yep. That is exactly what happened to Don's motor.

"Sorry, it was installation error."

Right. :mad:redface.gif

I'm not trying to defend anyone but don't you guys mic that kind of stuff before you assemble the engine? maybe I'm the only one that anal when I put motors back together... you can have a keyway welded and recut or it can be fixed with an oversized key....

I'm just asking becuase you can't just toss something together and expect it to stay together when you abuse it.....

Originally posted by O.G.:

I'm not trying to defend anyone but don't you guys mic that kind of stuff before you assemble the engine? maybe I'm the only one that anal when I put motors back together... you can have a keyway welded and recut or it can be fixed with an oversized key....

I'm just asking becuase you can't just toss something together and expect it to stay together when you abuse it.....

I mic the snout itself, but I would never think to mic the keyway. Until this started happening...

Carl, if it's any consolation, I have NEVER heard of the XP or off-shelf Comp grinds having this problem. I have seen it ONLY in the VS, XPZ, and GT cams from ZZP.

Could be luck, could be coincidence, who knows.

you've seen it in a GT cam like mine? That's strange. I wonder why it was never posted anywhere?

ZZP does a good job of keeping those things off of the forums.

.. and Intense never did? ;)

Don't put words in my mouth.

I never said intense didn't, but ZZP does a much better job than intense does at keeping that stuff private.

Originally posted by Relegate:

Don't put words in my mouth.

I never said intense didn't, but ZZP does a much better job than intense does at keeping that stuff private.

I didn't put words in your mouth. I just asked a question. You were putting words in ZZP's mouth by saying that. But it doesn't really matter and that's a completly different subject.

I didn't mean to start a flame war here....

I just thopught it was neat that comp went direct to the public with 3800 cams... When lunati did that for big block buicks the price dropped a whole lot everywhere else to compete with lunati's new lower prices