Question For All You Guys Who Work As Mechanics..questions about career field

CJINOHIO03

A guy I grew up with worked for Ricart and a few other places out of school. His thoughts were that if you can find a shop that pays book time, by that you get a check baised on the hours that the auto manufacture says it will take to do a specific job and not clock hours then you can make some bucks.

Ricart use to pay book time. If you had an 84 T-bird that needed a water pump, the book time said 3 hours. You actually do it in 1.25 hours, your paycheck time is set to 3 hours. George worked there through a couple of recalls that paid 3 hours, and they were able to get the actual time down, working in teams to about 50 minutes, and got a couple 60 plus hour pay checks. Dealers at that time didn't pay OT pay, because of shop hours being 9 to 6, so I wouldn't expect it now either. The hang on that is there was always the cars that defied repair. And would take 3 hours to figure out that there was a sensor wire bad that paid .25 hour to fix, and that's what you got paid for.

Guest aftermidnight
when i worked at a shop in columbus, hourly i made $14 per hour, but most jobs i did on flat rate which is where i made the most money.... graemlins/thumb.gif

YOu can get paid good money if you get in with a high end dealer/company. Most of the high end (bmw, audi, etc...) companies want you to have a 2 year degree and then they send you to there own training school. I'm sure its possible to start at one of these places without all that but you won't be making near as much money and it will take longer for you to move up the "food chain."

Guest racinbird

By the time I was 25 I had a 2 yr degree from CSCC, ASE master tech, and made just over 60k. I also work the flat rate...paid per job not how long it takes or hourly, around $22.00 per flat rate hour.

It all depends on what establishment you get into, I really suggest a big name dealership, these new cars seem to have a LONG warranty and diagnosis can be difficult without up to date scanners and equipment.

PM me if you want more details smile.gif

Just thought I'd throw something in. How much attention do the schools give to diagnosing todays engines? I mean any dumbshit mechanic can change a water pump, but how many can take a problem that would take that same mechanic days of swapping parts to fix and narrow it down to real troubleshooting.

This is a problem I've seen in my industry as well and it all comes down to good troubleshooting practises. What about that really stupid wiring harness that broke somewhere alone the path. Can the modern mechanic use troubleshooting to find that problem without say replacing the coils, fuel injectors, computer, fuel pump. You know what I mean. Just curious because modern automobiles are not the simple fuel air and fire machines of 50 years ago and they will only get more advanced with time.

Evan

Schools place a huge emphasis on diagnosing and troubleshooting skills. Actually probably most of the classes focus around that. Because like you said any idiot can just bolt on parts. Out in the field you're not gonna get away with just bolting on parts until the problem gets fixed.

I work for firestone where they have a few levels

GS(oil&tires) 7.50-9.50/hr hourly

C tech(brakes&suspension) 10-13 flat rate

B tech(Same as above with ASE's) 13-17 flat rate

A tech(master ASE and drivability) 15-21 flat rate

on a flat rate basis plenty of people in my shop turn 60-80 hrs weeks on 40 hr weeks. I've seen as high as 130 hrs in a week. Its all in the managers though its a hard business, some are sticklers and others are very lenient on shop times.