Blown Glass CAI?

Avenger1647545502

This defies logic. The purpose of a "cold air" intake it to get the coolest air into the engine.

Here is the riddle now:

A glass tube and an aluminum tube of identical proportions are placed in a 500 degree oven for 30 mins. Pull them both out and let sit for 5 minutes. Now which one would you be able to pick up with your bare hands??

Why would you want to use a large heat sink to draw in cool air??

Originally posted by Rotarded:

This defies logic. The purpose of a "cold air" intake it to get the coolest air into the engine.

Here is the riddle now:

A glass tube and an aluminum tube of identical proportions are placed in a 500 degree oven for 30 mins. Pull them both out and let sit for 5 minutes. Now which one would you be able to pick up with your bare hands??

Rumor has it there is magic fairy dust in these things to make them not conduct any heat... Magic Fairy Dust > *

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Here is the riddle now:

So you want aluminum windows on your house this winter? How about some aluminum fiber insulation to replace that Owens-Corning fiberglass?

You are confusing two seperate properties of matter, AND you are misinterpreting one. Thermal conductivity is not the same thing as heat capactiy (which is the specific heat of a material times it's density).

In this case, the thermal conductivity of 2024 Aluminum is 177 (W/mK). Ordinary plate glass has a thermal conductivity of around 1.4 W/mK.

The specific heat of aluminum and glass are comparable -- 750 J/kgK for glass and 875 J/kgK for Al. Aluminum is also slightly more dense.

So, aluminum is going to hold slighly more heat than the same amount of glass, but it is going to lose that heat at a much higher rate. Where does that heat go, you might ask? Straight into your incoming air, if you're using it as a CAI.

Your example is terrible, because you haven't accounted for where the heat from the aluminum tube went. See previous paragraph. smile.gif

How about this example? I am going to put your arm in a tight fitting tube. Then I am going to hit that tube for 15 seconds with a propane torch. Would you like aluminum or glass (same thickness)? :D

The only common material that makes less sense than aluminum for a CAI would be copper (401 W/mK).

Game, set, match. You lose. tongue.gif

Edit: All numeric data is from "Introduction to Heat Transfer, second edition", Incropera and DeWitt.

Originally posted by SupraGlue:

You are confusing two seperate properties of matter, AND you are misinterpreting one.

Game, set, match. You lose. tongue.gif

You are confusing two separate types of members of this forum, AND you are cocky about it.

In the first case people like Cold Air can't comprehend all "them fancy werds". Secondly, many of the rest have too short of attention spans to read your entire post.

Seriously, my obviously egregious premise was drawn more from the retention of under hood heat, by a large chunk of glass used as a conduit. A matter that may or may not be completely foreign to a fellow 7 owner.*cough* pre-act/downpipe *cough*

Game? Touche'

Set? Nope!

Match? Yeah Right!!! BRING IT!!

Edit: All crayon renderings copied and pasted from "Highlights for Children", April 2004, "Spunky comes home" edition, Bartels and James.

Guest Ranger_Man

mikes post > marks post. i know highlights, but not no, "introduction to blah blah blah". i also do not trust any book on thermo-dynamics that is written by a cordless drill manufacturer(sp).

oh, glass in the engine bay is lame. it does not matter which holds or releases heat more. what does matter is that if you were to use glass in ANY part of your engine bay, and it would happen to break, you would be in a world of hurt. and that is the end of the discussion, period.

it's not all about what heats up faster... remember, your car runs for a decent amount of time... glass will hold in the heat longer than the plastic intakes that we typically use. I doubt these things are insulated with 2 glass paines as well as a central layer of gas for insulation like our typical house windows are.

regardless though.... those look incredibly gay and no way in hell would I put that in my engine bay. Think about how easily that glass would break... then what? ur out that grand or whatever they are charging for it. What kind of warrenty do they offer? Although that would be a good way for the stoners to hide their weed.

There are plenty of reasons why this isn't a good idea, and why there are other better materials to use from a performance standpoint. My only dig at Mike was his claim that Aluminum was a better insulator than glass. smile.gif

Rubber and plastic are obviously ideal from a cost, weight, durability and heat transfer standpoint. This is just something for show cars to be different. From that standpoint, it's kind of unique, though I agree that their designs look suspiciously like bongs.

To really set it off, I think you'd want to pick more interesting coolant colors than the standard green (Toyota red or DexCool might look better), and it would look pretty wild at night if you had an LED inside the tube to make the coolant glow.

But we hate anything show oriented on here, so it sucks! tongue.gif