drag radials

Guest doggunracing

Guest doggunracing

Searched but didn't find a good comparative post. I'm trying to decide on some DRs for the 240 to use as street tires. This is not a daily-driven car, but it does get a fair amount of regular driving. Torque is ~ low 300s at the wheels in the 4-5k range. I want a tire that will hook pretty well, but not wear out super quickly.

These would be used at the strip, but only a few times a year. So, this is mostly for street traction as the blah 255s break loose rolling into it in 2nd. Oh, and size would be around 255-275/40-17. If anyone thinks a 'non-DR' would stand up, list those also.

I'm thinking Nitto 555Rs, but wondering if the BFG and MT people would give their input as well.

I ran the Nitto 555Rs on the Cobra, and those held up well. On a relatively warm night, they would only minimally break lose from a 40-roll, with me starting in 1st gear - and that was with me putting down in the area of 650tq to the rear wheels. (See video of me and Anthony roll racing to compare my Nittos to whatever he was running that night; be sure to notice how sideways he gets, and how I don't.)

On the strip, the Nittos hooked up well enough, but only after I warmed them up sufficiently through the waterbox route. That's one of the disadvantages of the Nittos (or at least I've heard): they need to be warm(er) to get sticky relative to the other DRs you mentioned. Also, suprisingly, the tread held up well: even with me doing six or seven MEGA- (read: too long of) burnouts at the track, I still had 1/4 of tread left.

I also like the Nittos because they were less likely to get loosey up top. Since I do more roll racing than drag racing, I wanted something with a bit stiffer sidewall to stand up a little better at 140mph+ passes. Never had a problem with them up there.

One more thing: I never had any problems with the Nittos in the rain. Granted, I was only in the rain once with them, but, at the time, they only had that 1/4 inch of tread left, and it wasn't like a deathwish.

I've heard good things about the BFGs. I also heard that, because they are a little softer, they don't need to be as warm to hook as well, but, conversely, also wear out faster than the Nittos.

I hope this helps.

I agree with the good Doctor. If you want a good tire that won't wear out super quickly go with the Nittos. The BFG and MT drag radials will hook harder but expect to only get about 5-6k miles before you need a new set.

Im partial to BFG's drag radials. That's what I have on the Cark, and they do pretty well on the street, and damn good for not having any weight in the ass end at the track.

Now, you need to remember that any DR will no do well in adverse weather, so it's a good think this isnt your daily. Ive driven my car in the rain once, and I wont do it again.

-Marc

Nitto DR's make a good street drag radial. They WILL last 15-20k miles (assuming you will wear them all the way down).

People tend to make the mistake of over-inflating them, though, and end up wearing the centers out far quicker than the outer parts of the tires. It sounds low, but to get an EVEN wear on the tires, you need to run them about 24 psi.

BFG DR's are pretty much outclassed now. They don't last long, yet don't hook like the MT drag radials. Basically, you are spending the same amount of money to get a worse tire. They were the "performance" drag radial to get until MT released their tire, now all the serious drag radial guys run the MT's.

Nitto also offers the 555RII, which is their DOT "Road-Race" tire. It is basically a Nitto DR w/ stiff sidewalls. I would think that would be a more appropriate tire for a 240, but unless you can stuff a 275/40/17 under your wheel well, you won't be running one of those. I plan on replacing my current street tires with these when the time comes.

Guest Ponyfreak

JOE

I have a set of Nitto 555R that are used but in excellant condition that I am wanting to sell. $100 takes them. They have at least 75% of tread left on them. I know they are 17" I think they are a 265/255/245 somewhere in there.

I ran and completely wore out a set of 555R's on my mark VIII. Took me 6.5K miles and LOTS of heavy track use. I was overall please on how they performed, and especially how long they lasted.

You are correct if you can run smaller than an 18" rim MT's are THE tire to have for track use. HOWEVER MT's are DRY day only tires, and are really squirely driving around town on handling wise. THe BFG's are more radial than the MT's. The NItto's are damn near a streat tire, but stick pretty good, but not as good as a BFG. Everything is a compromise.

not a fan of the BFGs. a friend of mine ran them on the street, and they seemed to overheat and chunk with any extended use.

i ran a set of nittos on the mustang a while back. didn't have them for long, but they held up pretty well. worked well for me on the street.

The BFG's are really only any good for the FWD guys.

I use them for everyday use. Rain or shine. I have driven over 300 miles in a day on them and have no issues. Used them at the track too.

Plus the BFGs are only $129 each, so their cheap enough I don't mind replacing them every 4 months or so.

I ran the Nitto Drag Radials on my FWD boat. They liked to be hot when I went to the track, but they worked well normally inflated in differant weather conditions.

I still have about 60% tred on them after 2 or 3 events last year. Very pleased with their traction and durability.

Nate

I have Nitto DR's on my car, but honestly, they don't seem to hook much better than the KDW tires I had on before the Nitto's.

Nitto's deffiantely require to be really hot just like everyone else has said.

Nitto Dr's=the best all around Dr, mine lasted @15k and the best part was I could drive it in any weather.Then I bought a set of BFG's they lasted about 400mi. and my car felt loose at 140+.I also did a few 400mi. road trips on the Nitto Dr's with no problems.

Originally posted by guzdorf12:

Im sick of this site. You cant say anything without stock jumping all over you.

not to sound like an ass... but how could you be sick of the site if you've only been on here less than a month and have 9 posts?

Im sick of this site. You cant say anything without stock jumping all over you.

Actually, I thought Marc was nicer to you than what he (1) usually is to people who make comments like that and (2) needed to be. In fact, because he used the smiley icon ( ;) ), I assumed you and he knew one another and he didn't want to come right out and say, "Hey, dumb fuck, just about everyone on here has drag radials, so stop sounding like newbie squirrel."

Besides, you also have to know that everyone that comes on here is subjected to at least some form of verbal hazing. Think of it as the culture of CR. The trick is to not fight back too much - there's a bunch of sharks here; once they smell blood in the water, it'll only get worse.

I would run the bfg's on the buick (when the car actually runs smile.gif )

I got 1.8 60's with street air pressure 32-35 psi

and 1.6 60's with around 20psi

I havn't been very impressed with the nittos I've seen they require a much longer burnout to get them hot the bfg's just need a quick chirp to clean them off and your good to go.

now the way the tires hook may change when you get to a smaller profile I'm running a 275-60-15 thats a whole lot more sidewall wich helps with traction

Originally posted by yellowsnake:

also Dr., where the vid of you and anthony i'd like to see it.

Here's the thread of the kill story:

http://www.columbusracing.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001359;p=1

Here's a spin-off thread:

http://www.columbusracing.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002783

And here's the video. Be sure to save as; don't stream.

http://knightsofspeed.com/RCCRRACES.wmv

Guest guzdorf12
Touche Dr.Z06, touche. Marcs right Im wrong, im a worthless noob. I do know marc, I actually know you too. You remember me from the 8th grade golf team?

Touche Dr.Z06, touche. Marcs right Im wrong, im a worthless noob. I do know marc, I actually know you too. You remember me from the 8th grade golf team?

Hey Nick, DR. Z06 isnt my dad ;) Kohones is my dad smile.gif

Remember, take what is said on here with a grain of salt, you worthless pile of newb shit tongue.gif

-Marc