irotors.com

zeitgeist57

Searched their site for a set of rotors for my Vette. A few guys on Corvetteforum.com have installed the $279 set of 4 rotors, cross-drilled and slotted.

For daily driving and light action on the weekends, do these rotors hold up pretty well?

Originally posted by recklessOP:

blank rotors will last longer. drilled rotors tend to crack under hard use. for normal street driving, you'd probably be ok...

Bullshit. Cheap drilled rotors will possibly crack under stress. I've had my front rotors glowing red, and they're still in one piece without cracks, stress cracks, or warpage.

Originally posted by recklessOP:

blank rotors will last longer. drilled rotors tend to crack under hard use. for normal street driving, you'd probably be ok...

lol... then what do you think they are made for?? to look pretty?

Originally posted by Matt Sterbator:

Bullshit. Cheap drilled rotors will possibly crack under stress. I've had my front rotors glowing red, and they're still in one piece without cracks, stress cracks, or warpage.

Originally posted by Jon:

lol... then what do you think they are made for?? to look pretty?

Matt is correct here, 90% of these "cross drilled and slotted" rotors are weakened due to les material, I didnt say they dont work but they certainly will not last long with considerable braking force.

I had a set, they sucked, warped after one track, and I honestly could tell zero difference between blanks and the cross drilled and slotted rotors i had on, there was no extra heat dissapation, the brake fade happened in relativly the same amount of time with both rotors.

Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?

A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications

www.wilwood.com

It used to be a good idea in the days of Asbestos brake pads. The holes help clear the gaseous product of asbestos pads.

In this day and age of ceramics and metallics (which give off little to no gas bi-product), drilled rotors are a waste of money.

Drilled rotors also have less material to dissipate heat. That would explain why they get glowing red; its not a good thing.

While your at it, why not run half of a rotor? It would give you about the same surface area of a drilled disk. tongue.gif

+1 for the blank crew.

Here are some articles for the non-believers:

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm

http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.htm

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Innocuous:

It used to be a good idea in the days of Asbestos brake pads. The holes help clear the gaseous product of asbestos pads.

In this day and age of ceramics and metallics (which give off little to no gas bi-product), drilled rotors are a waste of money.

Drilled rotors also have less material to dissipate heat. That would explain why they get glowing red; its not a good thing.

While your at it, why not run half of a rotor? It would give you about the same surface area of a drilled disk. tongue.gif

+1 for the blank crew.

Here are some articles for the non-believers:

http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm

http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.htm

That is the correct answer. Thanks for saving me the time of typing it out.

Guest doggunracing

Another reason for the holes is increased surface area to disperse heat. For the drilled hole, h(thickness of rotor)*pi*2*r(radius of drilled hole) versus what was removed, 2*pi*r^2(radius of drilled hole). So, as long as the holes radius is smaller than the thickness of the rotor, surface area will increase.

That being said, you're also losing material to absorb the heat and cracking is a real issue. I'll stick to blanks.

I'm pretty sure that no one I know who seriously tracks their street car at road courses uses anything but blanks. The thermal stresses from an entire day of brake abuse aren't too kind to holed rotors.

Slots are pretty useful on rally cars to clear mud, water and whatever other debris they go charging though -- so if Clay plans to rally the 'vette, he'll be good to go. ;)

Otherwise, the stuff is cosmetic and looks pretty good behind a set of 18"s, which is a perfectly fine reason to run them on a street car, IMO.

graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by SupraGlue:

I'm pretty sure that no one I know who seriously tracks their street car at road courses uses anything but blanks. The thermal stresses from an entire day of brake abuse aren't too kind to holed rotors.

Slots are pretty useful on rally cars to clear mud, water and whatever other debris they go charging though -- so if Clay plans to rally the 'vette, he'll be good to go. ;)

Otherwise, the stuff is cosmetic and looks pretty good behind a set of 18"s, which is a perfectly fine reason to run them on a street car, IMO.

graemlins/thumb.gif

I will prove you wrong at Ledges this year graemlins/nod.gif

I know this might sound like a stupid question... but if drilled and slotted is such a bad idea, why does most serious sports cars come with them standard (new Z06, Porche, etc...)? I can't believe it would be austetics(sp?) only

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Shitaro:

I know this might sound like a stupid question... but if drilled and slotted is such a bad idea, why does most serious sports cars come with them standard (new Z06, Porche, etc...)? I can't believe it would be austetics(sp?) only

Why do race cars not have drilled or slotted?

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by MRMEANR:

this is a food fight of miss information... im not even going to play on this battle field.

Lol. King Racer Retard doesn't want to play with us :( .

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

this is a food fight of miss information... im not even going to play on this battle field.

yes humor us....I have got a reply already saved for the next person who thinkgs drilled and slotted rotors slow you down faster.