truck drivers...

HotCarl

I always wondered how these guy's were paid. i know their paid by the mile but how much is a good rate? .30cents? .40? how many mile's do they drive in a week. i heard a commercial on the radio and it got me thinking of how much was good to be paid in the truck driving industry.

I'm not thinking of a job/career change, more just curious, does anyone know?

I don't remember for sure, but I think it's about 26 - 28 cents a mile is pretty average. I've got a few friends that are truck drivers in their early 20's, the usually pull about $500 a week.

No clue how many miles are driven in a week. It just depends on how fast you want to go, how long stops take, and how much you sleep.

Well, it is 10 hours drive time a day, and 60 hours total a week is the new regs when it went to the CDL. Pay varies from .28 a mile to .50 or better a mile depending on experience and type of freight. Some companies do pay an hourly load and unload wage to the drivers while others do not.

And the guys that make the money basically live in the truck. I realize that you hear the adds about 50 and 60 a year for wages. But the thing they don't mention is the road expense. There is no such thing as a home cooked meal. You either eat lunch meat and bread that you are carrying in a 12 volt refrigerator or you are eating truck stop or fast food. (BTW, truck stop food rocks if it's resturant type food and not Mcdonalds or some shit like that) And yes, you get to see the United States, but since you are hauling on a schedule, you get to see it through the windshield and not much more. My dad drove for 35 years and has been as far as Alaska in a truck. Needless to say I grew up around trucking and had planned to follow in his footsteps untill he explained it all to me. Trucking is an experience all it's own, and there are alot of very proud drivers. They keep the country running. But its not a career for a person that has a family, because you are on the road ALOT, and you tend to miss alot of little league games, school plays, first dates, and a host of other things, but it is a very noble profession. Hope this helps.

Guest lownissan
well my uncle is a truck driver and he made like 170k last year. of course last year i think i may have seen him like twice. he has a badass dirt track car and some other things but he never gets to use any of them. not worh it IMO. he lovesit thought and so do most of the drivers i come in contact with. just not for me. i like being home. and im not sure how much he makes exactly a mile. but the mileage rate has to go up since the cost of fuel is so out of hand.

i make my living driving a dump truck, started out hauling freight. but found it's nice too be home every night. i do about 43 gross a year not bad about 55 hours or so a week, in the summer time you can see all the legs lol...