Old Plates

cptn janks

does anyone on here know the deal with putting old plates on a car? i remember reading on the ohio DMV site that you could put plates on from the year of manufacture of your car, and have them be your current plates. i.e. your car is a 1963, and you have plates from 1963, you can use em as your plates now.

i looked all through the dmv site but couldnt find the page i was looking at.

TIA

[ 18. April 2005, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Chevy Metal ]

You must first register it as a historical vehicle, then the dated tags must be approved and you will be issued a special registration for them. I believe you are required to keep the historical tags in the car also.

It's a PITA but worth it, but beware that the driving of a historical vehicle is technicly very restricted.

Originally posted by Tinman:

You must first register it as a historical vehicle, then the dated tags must be approved and you will be issued a special registration for them. I believe you are required to keep the historical tags in the car also.

It's a PITA but worth it, but beware that the driving of a historical vehicle is technicly very restricted.

Exactly!!! I have 67 Ohio tags for my GTO and I am required to keep the historical tags in the car at all times. One thing thought about Historical Tags... you don't have to renew them for 50 years!!!

I have the same thing on my 69.

Yes there are restrictions to when you can drive a car with historical plates, but I have never been pulled over for that reason.

If you dont mind me asking what car are you putting the plates on?

1970 Mustang Mach 1

its got regular blue and red plates on it now, but i thought it might be cool to have the 1970 plates on there. i see em on ebay for sale for like 10 bucks a pair or something all the time. actually if i go to my uncles house and dig around his shop, i could probalby find the exact 1970 plates that he used on the stang

what kind of restrictions are there on the historical plates?

EDIT: just found the site i was looking for

http://bmv.ohio.gov/hstrcal.html

then click on Model Year plates, and it gives the info.

[ 18. April 2005, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Chevy Metal ]