fwd vs awd

Guest nixon

Someone is trying to tell me, say two cars have exactly same amount of power. One fwd one awd. He's trying to say the power won't come out as much like the fwd car and fwd will own. Fwd (no lsd)will get power to one wheel and awd will get it to all wheels right? Wouldn't awd own all day long off the line to a fwd car?

Too many variables. If there is alot of power the AWD car wins since he has traction. If there is not much power the AWD car loses due to drivetrain losses through the AWD system, which use HP.

Your friend shouldn't have conversations like this. FWD sucks.

Guest rocafella
we'll it all depends but your definatly gonna get more traction off the line in an awd but sometimes you dont get that jump on highly modified awd's believe it or not because many people cant regulate boost correctly...in conclusion, 9 times out of 10 youll be faster off the line in an awd but it dosent mean that you will be top-end faster...

Originally posted by The Anti-Rice:

Whoever said that is a complete and utter moron.

That's exactly what i said to him. He actually argued with me and got into a fight with me, when he has a awd subaru and i have a fwd integra.. i was saying his car would own me on the line especially since i have no lsd. :rolleyes: oh well just wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass..

Guest ImprezaWRX
Originally posted by 94whitegsr:

it all depends on the consistency of your gravy... sometimes you want it on your barnyard buster and sometimes you want it on the side but it goes best w/ fruit punch...... IMO... graemlins/wtf.gif

PS. AWD wins graemlins/burnout02.gif

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................gravy.......

So lets say a stock eclipse gst(fwd) and a stock eclipse gsx(awd) go from a 40 roll. The gst will pull because traction is not an issue and the gsx is loosing twice as much power as the gst through the drivetrain. Correct?

Actually, we have had this debate at work many times. I was always on the side of: AWD is much harder to launch, especially if there is not enough power to spin all 4 wheels (like in a stock WRX). Well, last spring, Automobile magazine did an AWD vs 2WD face-off, where they compared an AWD G35 vs a RWD G35 and an AWD A4 vs a FWD A4. The 2WD versions out-handled and out-accelerated the AWD versions in every aspect, including wet pavement tests! Granted, these tests were performed by professional drivers, but it just goes to show that AWD needs more power to overcome the weight to become a real benefit.

No AWD car is going to be out accelerated by any fwd from a stop, if launched properly. As far as i know, these "professional drivers" do not launch AWD cars they way they should. And handling...that is they main purpose why people started making awd sports cars...and once exiting a turn its like launching it from a stop all over again. EX: VR4's kick ass at the track. There is a video of a couple of vr4's and twin turbo stealth's kicking vette and viper ass on the track because when exiting the turn they just pull very hard on the RWD and FWD cars. But both have theyr advantages and disadvantages. I just believe that AWD has more advantages than disadvantages

Guest doggunracing
Originally posted by Chris R:

EX: VR4's kick ass at the track. There is a video of a couple of vr4's and twin turbo stealth's kicking vette and viper ass on the track because when exiting the turn they just pull very hard on the RWD and FWD cars.

If you want to test this theory, Nelson Ledges has two more open track days ;)

EX: VR4's kick ass at the track.

no they don't. i've seen the videos too. those cars had upgraded turbos and brakes. the stock brakes wouldn't last more than a few laps. the cars are just too heavy (and most of that weight is over the front axle)...

<-- has run with 3S cars at the track

Ive never had my car at the track, and i have no experience at the track, but i would like to go sometime when i have the time or money.

And im sure they did have upgraded turbos, 3S's dont nearly have as much hp as a stock viper, but i dunno about the brakes, 91-93 didnt have the best brakes, but 2nd gens had great brakes, i have 97 brakes on mine and they are huge 4 piston brakes. 3S's do have understeer unfortunatly, but most AWD cars i believe have perfect or oversteer.

But i have done research on AWD vs FWD vs RWD and AWD is better for cornering and launching from a stop. But a RWD car is better in the quartermile especially if they have slicks on, then they get great traction and dont have that AWD power loss

but i dunno about the brakes, 91-93 didnt have the best brakes, but 2nd gens had great brakes, i have 97 brakes on mine and they are huge 4 piston brakes.

josh ran his 94 RT/TT with us at nelson ledges last year. right before the track day, he installed upgraded pads, upgraded rotors, and braided lines. keep in mind, ledges is relatively easy on brakes. at the end of the day, the pads were down to the backing plates... smile.gif

the calipers themselves are decent, the car just needs race pads (once again, the car's weight is a problem). then again, josh drives like a lunatic... tongue.gif

Originally posted by Ricochet:

gsx will win from a stop, gst will win from a roll, by like 3 feet though.

exactly.

There are alot of variables in your friends statement about which ones faster. Anyone who make blanket statements like that show their novice in these areas rather quickly.

Guest mudbutt
I saw this Yugo once, It was sooo fast omg. I have a Yugo, but mine isnt as fast but I saw this guy on the internet and his was the same color as mine and he beat a corolla in the corners. I went back to Yugo-forums and they disproved any dobuts I had as to how bad ass my Yugo is.

As far as i know, these "professional drivers" do not launch AWD cars they way they should. ... I just believe that AWD has more advantages than disadvantages

Actually, I would argue the point the other way. Most "professional" drivers will launch the car much harder than any joe schmoe you run into on the street. Why? Because the "professional" drivers don't usually own the car (it get's lent to magazines by the car companies), so they don't care if it gets broken. Nearly every review I've read of a WRX says that they revved the car up to 5k-6k rpm just to get the tires to spin (too much traction will bog the engine), yet very few people I know are willing to risk their drivetrain just to be able to launch the car.

AWD has a lot of advantages, especially in winter driving. But it's main disadvantage is weight, and that means that an AWD car just won't be able to compete with a properly set up 2WD car.