2007 Camaro and some F-body history

Ziggy1647545504

Maybe a repost, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/

Though Lutz has pretty much said that there won't be another Firebird, it looks like there is still hope for the Camaro nameplate. graemlins/thumb.gif

Unfortunately, HighRisk, I agree. However, Bob Lutz is attempting to position Pontiac as a domestic market BMW. To that line of thought, the Firebird clientele does not fit the "image" of what the "upmarket" customer will purchase. The GTO and the Solstice do (supposedly). I suppose that goes back to the '70's image of the "cool guy with a mullet wearing a white t-shirt" that everyone seems to conjure up when looking for the stereotypical late '70's persona. So in a nutshell, the GTO is to fill the void left behind with the passing of the iconic Firebird. I wonder if they saw Two Lane Blacktop and the guy that was driving the GTO? :rolleyes:

Guest Varioram
What would they target the camaro after? I thought the mustangs were gonna go after the corvette...chevy will not risk putting the camaro in the same market as the vette so what do they think they will go after? I dont understand.

Originally posted by CR Caddy:

Unfortunately, HighRisk, I agree. However, Bob Lutz is attempting to position Pontiac as a domestic market BMW. To that line of thought, the Firebird clientele does not fit the "image" of what the "upmarket" customer will purchase. The GTO and the Solstice do (supposedly). I suppose that goes back to the '70's image of the "cool guy with a mullet wearing a white t-shirt" that everyone seems to conjure up when looking for the stereotypical late '70's persona. So in a nutshell, the GTO is to fill the void left behind with the passing of the iconic Firebird. I wonder if they saw Two Lane Blacktop and the guy that was driving the GTO? :rolleyes:

WTF is wrong with the mullet, leather jacket, white tee shirt and Sammy Hagar?

Originally posted by HIgh Risk:

WTF is wrong with the mullet, leather jacket, white tee shirt and Sammy Hagar?

Nothing. As a matter of fact, if I could afford it, I'd have a black '78 T/A with gold stripes and bird, a 4 foot whip antenna on the roof, and Jerry Reid in the 8 track player, in my garage right now! But, due to my current circumstances, that is going to have to wait a few years.

I'm just saying that is not the market image that Bob Lutz wants for Pontiac.

"Montreal plant which made the Camaro and Firebird is being demolished. Under terms of a Canadian Auto Workers union contract, the 2.1 million square foot facility (Quebec's only auto plant) is the only location allowed to build Camaro and Firebird." :(

they can still use Chevelle :D

Originally posted by Jesus Hates Me:

hmmmmm, what about a petition to pontiac to bring back the ol' firebird?

Don't think that'll work. From what I've seen in the last few years, I'm not sure that any manufacturer can afford to carry two different lines of car that are only available in two door form. There are a few companies that do offer coupes in different lines (eg: Honda with the Civic and Accord coupes), but for the most part, these vehicles aren't competing for the same customer. Bob Lutz has made it known that the GTO is back. I don't think that he would jeopardize the success of the GTO by bringing another car to market under the same nameplate to compete directly head to head with it for the same customer. Despite the fact that his feeling is that the GTO is more appealing to the "upmarket" customer than the Firebird, how many GTO's do you think would have sold so far if the 'bird were still around? I would wager about half of what have sold to date, and if you've noticed, every Pontiac dealer in the city is maintaining stock of GTO's, so it's not like they're exactly flying off the lots anyway.

Originally posted by Jesus Hates Me:

so the gto is pontiacs rwd sports car from now on then?

Not exactly. The Pontiac Solstice is coming to market as a rear wheel drive "sports car". Referring to the early sports cars imported from Europe. Small cars, somewhat dedicated to their "sporting" directive with agile handling, and inspiring driving dynamics.