Need help with the car this weekend

MrMeanGreen

Due to unforeseen circumstances, a friend from COFBA has had to back out of my fuel pump install. Unfortunately, I can no longer keep putting this off as Norwalk is coming up and I still have injectors and tuning left to do.

I need a hand installing my fuel pump, it's a Walbro 340m 255lph in-tank. However, I will be going at it from the top and creating an access panel. It's the actual pump wiring and physical modding I'll need assistance with, as well as the moral support ;)

I'm looking at doing this next weekend, and help would be greatly appreciated. I'll supply beer and food, and you can have the pride of knowing you've helped my car into the 10s :D

For reference: http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html

Seriously, please consider this. Thanks.

Originally posted by B DUBS:

i would be willing to lend a hand, fuel pumps are not really that difficult. And shit i havent been around for a while either so i should just come out and lend a hand anyway

Maybe you haven't seen the F-body fuel pumps before, they suck if your taking the tank out TRUST ME. Good call on cutting a hole to get to the pump, I'd love to do this to customers cars but I think they'd get mad.

Anyway I'm down to help if you guys want. This going on at your place Anthony?

anthony, i recommend dropping the tank and then installing it. you'll have as much time pulling back the carpet cutting the hole (without hitting the tank) and getting it all back in nicely as it would take to just drop the rearend a bit and pull the tank out. i assume you have aftermarket exhaust? if the intermediate pipe is 2-piece, that makes the job less time consuming.

Ant, let me know if this was done or not... honestly yanking the tank from the top is easy and only takes a few hours.

97z, dude, I don't know what you're talking about? dropping the tank is a HUGE PITA.... you have to drop the rear and all... deffinately cut the access panel... with a dremel, it can be done pretty quickly.

Originally posted by Back_2_Reality_Of_Fury:

Ant, let me know if this was done or not... honestly yanking the tank from the top is easy and only takes a few hours.

97z, dude, I don't know what you're talking about? dropping the tank is a HUGE PITA.... you have to drop the rear and all... deffinately cut the access panel... with a dremel, it can be done pretty quickly.

i see how it could be quicker if the interior is already tore out, but a couple years ago, my dad and i did a fuel pump on a 94 Z28. we didn't have to completely remove the rearend we just unbolted the shocks, sway bar, tracking bar, ect, and lowered the rear as much as we could on hydraulic jack. the only hard part was getting the stock i-pipe out of the way, but w/aftermarket exhaust that is painless. we did it in an afternoon w/o any problems and i was glad i didn't cut anything up since it wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be.

i wouldn't mind seeing it done from the top. if i didn't have a softball tournament, i'd be all about giving you an extra hand.

btw, you said you're trying to get this done for norwalk...if it's an fbody meet, could one of you link me to more info?

Originally posted by 97Z:

i wouldn't mind seeing it done from the top. if i didn't have a softball tournament, i'd be all about giving you an extra hand.

btw, you said you're trying to get this done for norwalk...if it's an fbody meet, could one of you link me to more info?

it most deffinately is ALLOT easier from up top.... Joe and I did mine in probably 2 hours. and I've had to open it up a hand full of times and it takes roughly 5 min's to get access to the fuel pump now. As far as pulling carpet, you just have to pull it back some... no big deal... I have pictures if you would like me to post them..

Here is the link to our Norwalk Event. If you are not a member of COFBA, I would suggest registering... it is our local F-Body Club and is a great club to be a member of...

http://www.cofba.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000262

http://www.cofba.org is the link to our club board.

Mike and Dave came over tonight and gave me a hand removing the pump assembly and making an access panel. All that's left is modding the bracket to fit the pump and reinstalling everything.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon it will be running again smile.gif