Pontiac GTO

Bgbdbn

I've been a GM guy forever, however I remain disappointed in the GTO. I think Pontiac really let folks down with this car (current sales show thats true). They want the public to pay big bucks yet they give you a plastic exterior with uncomfortable seats, the outside looks like a gran prix? And you can buy one for a mear what $35k? My two cents anyway. (Yeah I like that 37 yr old one ALOT)! smile.gif

Originally posted by Kohones:

the outside looks like a gran prix?

Something wrong with that Mr Stock? smile.gif

I've been a fan of European cars ever since I started driving them. The GTO shares the ride and handeling close to europen cars. The exhaust routed in duals along one channel, the dash layout, are all pretty good for the ol general.

Maybe those vette seats are really comfy, but compared to the grand prix seats the GTO seats seemd to be pretty comfy to me.

As far as price I agree, only way I'd get one, is through GM discount. Which ironically, I have.

As far as STS, I have mixed feelings about remote turbo mounting. Rather have one right off da kitchen. Looks impossible though, but I'll wait and see what happens.

i think that what my dad was trying to say was that it's a GTO, not a grand prix, grand prix is a nice car, but it not a GTO. The two should NOT look alike. I am very disappionted in GM for their foolishness in this matter. for 35,000 I think they could have made a much much better GTO than that aussie improted thing. just my .02

Originally posted by rarest truck on CR:

i think that what my dad was trying to say was that it's a GTO, not a grand prix, grand prix is a nice car, but it not a GTO. The two should NOT look alike. I am very disappionted in GM for their foolishness in this matter. for 35,000 I think they could have made a much much better GTO than that aussie improted thing. just my .02

Ok, I see where your coming from. Now that you reminded me its just a Holden, seems like GM did just took the easy way out. Maybe they thought it was like re-inventing the wheel, who knows. I do aggree with you though.

I still like the looks though, maybe thats the wantabe sports car driver in me smile.gif .

stocks, first gen gto's and looked like grand prix's at the time, someone put up a picture compairing it and the similarities are the same, you are thinking 2nd gen gto's that are the judge style, wait till gm redoes that car and be ready to be impressed

View of A Pontiac 04’ GTO owner.

I bought my 04’ GTO in March and have put 11,000 miles on it. It’s been on MidOhio Raceway, Nelson Ledges Raceway, Beavrun Raceway, and Gingerman Raceway I’ve even OVR SCCA autocrossed it.

I do agree that GM made a mistake in using Pontiac GTO for the Holden Monaro’s introduction to the US.

The Holden Monaro is not “granny’s econo box tempest with a big motor”. The Monaro CV8, cost $60,490.00 AUD witch converts to $47,013.15 USD, the GTO is a steal at $33,600.

The Holden Monaro, is not a straight line brick, it is a contemporary, stylish sport sedan, capable of running with and beating it’s peers S4, CTS, 330’s etc.

And:

For the record, if I park my 04' GTO (Holden Monaro) next to ANY year Grand Prix. There is ABSOULTY NO resemblance from any angle, between the cars. The statement that the GTO looks like a grand prix is just as absurd as claiming the Cobra looks like a Probe, or a firebird looks like a sunbird. Just plain outlandishly wrong I say.

Folks - please accept my apology here!!! I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying the GTO looked like the Gr Prix, I'm sorry. I just (my opinion only) believe that Pontiac could easily have given GTO owners A hell of alot more for the $$$$$ than what they've produced so far. Though it's nothing more than my own personal opinion, I NEVER mean't to tork anyone on this board off ---