LT1 + high mileage

gaewsky1

I've found a '93 Corvette with 135,000 miles on it. Seller is asking 7000, I'll probably get it for lower. Will the LT1 hold up for more mileage? Also does anyone know of a mechanic that will look the car over if I decide to buy it?

Anyone think I should just pass on it?

Guest racinbird

A co worker has a 96? LT1 Z28 with 160,000 miles. He put on a timing chain just to be safe and hasnt had any problems at all. Runs strong, dosent burn any oil, all around nice car.

Its up to you if thats what you are looking for. I would surely get it looked at before you buy it, maybe from a Chevy dealer who has seen LT1's for years.

I have worked on a few LT1s, the one I test drove and got to play with had 140 K on the clock, 95 I think, sweet car, nice power and other and odds and ends parts wise had no major problems. However, she brought it in for plugs and wires due to a missfire, yeah worst job ever..., sucks and took us 2 days to get it done with a lift and every tool known to man, lol. I would give her a once over and see but sounds pretty safe

You're looking at 200k miles for reliability if the owner took good care of it and replace the timing chain, wearables, etc.

I'd also ask when the most recent plug/wire change was, and if the Opti-Spark (distributor) was replaced and when.

Reliability on the LT1 can be excellent if the regular interval maintenance is performed.

Originally posted by EVILGTP98:

sucks and took us 2 days to get it done with a lift and every tool known to man, lol.

My first time doing it, had my buddy's dad do it on a lift (GM mechanic). Basically bone stock car, plugs and wires took him an hour (I watched the whole time, and kept track of the time since I "heard" it was such a nightmear). My first time doing it (plugs/wires) on jackstands in a driveway w/ the most basic of hand tools = 2.5 hours. W/ long tubes, it is a cake job now. It's people saying crap like "it took 2 days" that makes it sound like some impossible job. It isn't.

As for 135k, that's not really all that high. Opti/waterpump/intake manifold rear leak are the only real items to look specifically at on an LT1. They are pretty tough motors. 94k of abuse on mine, and running stronger than ever.

'93 has the older, non-vented OptiSpark unit. Unless the owner is running a stand alone ignition (Delteq, LTCC...) make sure the Opti has been rebuilt/replaced.

I've had my '95 for over a year now. Even in 0 degree winter mornings, the thing starts and performs very well. Keep Mobil 1 or Motul flowing in the engine and you should be fine.

Actually, there are MANY people with 150k+ on pretty much stock LT1 engines (maybe a clutch, Opti and waterpump service).