LS1 vs. Chevy Crate Motor vs. One you built yourself

1Quik7

Originally posted by 1Quik7:

i'd like to reach at least 600+rwp N/A, preferrably from a small-block if possible.

600whp NA from a generation 3 can be done, but it probably wont be cheap. A stock LS1 with 7PSI will put out about 430 to 450 to the wheels. A good heads and cam package on a stock bottom end will lead to 430. A mild cam, heads and turbo would probably be your best bet, although the rear gear ratio wouldnt be best suited for the turbo application. A 427 LS1 with heads and cam would get you close to your mark, but would cost quite a bit of $. With a stock bottom end and heads, cam and 8 to 9 PSI with either a turbo or cen blower you could get your #'s and wont worry too much about hurting the engine. The best part is that you could actually drive your car.

Originally posted by cdk 4219:

600whp NA from a generation 3 can be done, but it probably wont be cheap. A stock LS1 with 7PSI will put out about 430 to 450 to the wheels. A good heads and cam package on a stock bottom end will lead to 430. A mild cam, heads and turbo would probably be your best bet, although the rear gear ratio wouldnt be best suited for the turbo application. A 427 LS1 with heads and cam would get you close to your mark, but would cost quite a bit of $. With a stock bottom end and heads, cam and 8 to 9 PSI with either a turbo or cen blower you could get your #'s and wont worry too much about hurting the engine. The best part is that you could actually drive your car.

thanks for the wisdom. i have a T51 turbo and i thought about keeping it for my V8 swap, but it seems like that costs a lot of money to fabricate everything...i am really not worried about driveability...this is going to be a trailer-queen very soon.

if you want a 427 ls1 which is very capable combo

i have a ls1 block with a cracked liner that was going to be for a 427

it is sitting at a engine shop near me (as they have a set of darton sleeves, waiting for me to give them the word to get piston, rods and crack and start building it.

i dont think im going to go that route least not for a long time. so the set up could be yours.

PM me for the number and you can call them to get a quote. wouldnt hurt to call them and just see how much it would cost.

also they would give you a good price im sure.

a 427 with some all-pro heads or afrs and agressive cam will have no problem with making 600hp

Guest 1sweet3.4

fuck it man! put a 4g63 in your z06 and you won't have to worry about killing passersby with flying apex seals and jet hot streams of oil.

then once your done, a hundred people with mullets will back up anthony beating the sense back into your head:) :D

how hard/easy is it to do an ls1 swap into an FD anyways? You know, just out of curiosity. I've been contemplating as i keep seeing what people can do with that kind of power plant....

I feel like such a tool. :(

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by Veritas:

I feel like such a tool. :(

How is having an open mind being a tool? Working in a fab shop, I have come to realize that no car is chained to the powerplant that it comes with. If you like the car but not the motor, swap it. You love the powerplant but hate the car, pull it. This isnt always the easiest/cheapest route, but if you have the resources, it can make you happy in the long run...... I heart tinman.

mostly cause of being a purest for the 7, but after i blow (not if, WHEN) this engine im going to look at doing that swap. I just know it's going to be a huge pain in the ass because NOTHING is going to be the same.

T.c.