Owned again by NAPA!!

Boost-n-Juice

Second block, after NAPA over bored the first one. Fire it up for 15mins, shut it down to check things over and to go thru the first heat cycle, go to fire it back up and it's SEIZED!

Tore it down to the short block and one of the cylinders is hosed, looks like one of the rings hung up or something, I have no clue.

I'm to the point of rancor and rage. I can't go back up there for the fear I might hurt someone. I'm going to call corporate and see what they can do for me, if not it's time to get an attorney involved.

:mad:

Originally posted by jallen100:

Why would you let NAPA do your machine work anyway?

EXACTLY. Why the heck would you take a high performance engine to Napa? But you have hatchets on here that will tell you that they do great work.

Originally posted by Clint Eastwood:

EXACTLY. Why the heck would you take a high performance engine to Napa? But you have hatchets on here that will tell you that they do great work.

ironic

I used the shop on feder to hot tank my block and intake mani. I dont know how much i'd trust them to do my bore work and what not but they did have some nice equipment in the back. And they had some huge semi(?) clutch that was bigger than my cars transmission that they were working on, it was hujungous.

Did they specify that it was finish honed or just bored???? I am not going into the specifics of boring and finish honing a block becasue some fuckstick will argue that I have no clue what I am talking about. But if they rough bored it, within a few ten thousandths like is suppost to be done, then expected you to finish the walls up with a hone to get it to spec, then that is what happened. I am assuming that you are running a roller cam, because EVERY cam manufacture that I know of says above 2000 RPM for no less than 30 min to get the lifters worn in. If they are NOT rollers.

BUT, and I say this to all that read this post.

DO NOT FUCKING TRUST ANY MACHINE SHOP TO DO A JOB CORRECTLY, WHEN YOU GET YOUR MACHINED PART BACK VERIFY IT WITH THE PROPER MEASUREMENT DEVICE THE KNOW THE WORK IS RIGHT!!!!!!

And if you don't know how to do it, find some one to teach you and help you check it. If you don't you WILL sooner or later, end up with a really expensive paper weight.

Originally posted by Desperado:

DO NOT FUCKING TRUST ANY MACHINE SHOP TO DO A JOB CORRECTLY, WHEN YOU GET YOUR MACHINED PART BACK VERIFY IT WITH THE PROPER MEASUREMENT DEVICE THE KNOW THE WORK IS RIGHT!!!!!!

good advice. double check everything...

fowlers in my mind use to do good work same goes with bob beach but its all about a doller now. its real hard to find a good machine shop that does good work for a reasonable price. and the biggest problem with alot of machine shops is there machines they dont keep them serviced and a couple thousants at the tooling = tens of thousants at the piece being machined. also many machinests dont double check there own work and assssume there work is right (that is keith for you)i worked in fedderns machine shop for a year and i will only have cranks turned rods resized parts baked,shot blasted and flywheels turned there bore machine and there hone machine sucks. if you look at any big shop that does real high preformance work and have engines that build big power those shops use sunnen machines for there block work and at least a sunnen ( sunnen ck-10 hone old machine but one of the best)hone. when boring and honing a block for performance app. a torque plate should ALWAYS be used and the main caps should be torqued to spec to. especally soft and flexable blocks such as 302s. when these steps are not done you will end up with a block that is now out of round when all your parts are torqued into place. and if you have a machine shop tell you diffrent ask them why they torque rod bolts before they resize a rod?

Guest 10secondMouse
I pretty much agree with what Desperado and RidenRed says. I wont mention what machinist I called, but I was building a motor for a guy and needed typical block prep done, when they told me that they didnt need the pistons to finish hone the block I just hung up! I am very anal when it comes to clearances, nor do I trust plasti-gauge. That is why my motors stay together a 2 hp+ per cubic inch. BTW, Brian, if you need anything, you know how to get in touch.

Its not really the shop you use, but the guy doing the work, everyone has bad day at work and in the machining business a bad day for the operator can be a heart stopper for the customer. Like has already been stated whenever you have any kind of work done you should check it all over thoroughly to make sure its dead on right. every motor problem I've ever had has been from an assembly problem not fualty machine work if you measure out a clearance and it isn't right or your not happy with it call the shop and have um fix it. for mustang stuff I would recomend Fox Lake I went up there with fowler to pick up some stuff and that place is so clean inside you could eat off the floor thats the kind of machine shop I like to use. Earick Racing is also the same way (newark oh) all sunnen equipment and very clean inside. I would get ahold of napa you shouldn't have a problem with them making it right if its their fualt. I've only dealt with the shop on the east side , but they always took care of any problem or concern I had without incident.

good luck

but you dealt with marvin at the east store marvin= cool feddern is keith. keith=dick. what bc didnt say is the first block was bored .040 over not .030 over like it should have been and the replacement block was assembled by keith (he is the shop forman) for there mistake and that one locked up. i worked there and keith is a know it all that is never wrong. he has no buisness doing any thing more than stock work. i mean he assembeled the second short block himself and it fucked up. mistakes happen but twice in a row is not a mistake that is neglect and being lazy. keith does not double check his work he assumes it is right and runs with it. (very BAD way of working) shoot he has built like three motors for his truck. three should be only one when you get parts at cost and the machine work is FREE. i wish that bc would hace posted his intensions before he had the work done, i would have warned him about keiths work. stock only just like one eyed frank at the whitehall car quest. napa corp should get him his money back and some

Guest mudbutt
Automotive Parts and Machine in Dayton is worth the drive IMO. Tim does a LOT of the most for the repair shops around here and has been in business to the tune of 20 years. I have had my block done there as have friends. Like any shop, they have made mistakes, but none costly and always repaired in a fast friendly manor. For as busy as the shop is, turn around time isnt bad at all. When I took my block in, they were really backed up, it still took less than 3 weeks.