Dyno Comparisons..... done

Buck531

Dynoed at Auto Assets tonight.. and then ran over to Dynotune as well.

Car put down basically the same HP in both places.

226.7 at Dynotune.

230.09 at Autoassets.

It was 7* cooler at Dynotune than it was at Auto Assets, mainly because it was 6:30ish when I went to Assets and around 8:30 at Dynotune.

So .. take it for what it's worth, both dyno's are accurate.

Auto Assets is a little bit more pricey at $100 for 3 pulls compared to Dynotune's $65 I might add.

Originally posted by Doug:

Can you reveal the purpose of your little experiment?

yep, there was a certain vendor out there in the world who were questioning my numbers. The numbers I put down didn't match up to the track time I ran. They wanted me to go to two different dynojets in the same day and compare them.

Yeah, I hope you got something out of the deal; otherwise you are throwing away some money doing all of that!

Speaking of which, a certain member here who rarely posts but just aquired a stock Z06 dynoed 370RWHP at Dynotune tonight.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Speaking of which, a certain member here who rarely posts but just aquired a stock Z06 dynoed 370RWHP at Dynotune tonight.

I heard that through the grapevine. I'm assuming it's an 02-04 Z06. If it is, in fact, stock (i.e., no modifications to the intake or anything else that people do and then still claim they're "stock"), then 370rwhp is a very, very good number. graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyway, back on track - Shawn, glad to hear you proved a point, and thanks for posting the numbers. Question, though: Are both dynos the same? That is, are they both dynojet dynonameters? You always hear about how dynojets give different readings than mustang dynos (or something like that) - so, I was just wondering.

Both are Dynojets. I think the models between the two are different. Dynotunes is mobile, and auto asstes is not. I have no idea on the model differences (if any) though.

I'm not out $165 dollars though. An unnamed person gave me $140 for the testing.. so I was only out $25. That's a LOT better than $165 ;) .

Originally posted by AudiOn19s:

Shawn...should have given me a ring...I was right up there in the area and could have gotten you $10 off the auto assets run...I suppose since you got the $$$ help for the runs it wasn't that big of a deal.

Didn't know your number. smile.gif They didn't get the dyno repaired until 5:30 and we had to make our way over to Sawmill then (not a good time to drive over there.. rush hour).

Originally posted by Dr. Z06:

I heard that through the grapevine. I'm assuming it's an 02-04 Z06. If it is, in fact, stock (i.e., no modifications to the intake or anything else that people do and then still claim they're "stock"), then 370rwhp is a very, very good number. graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyway, back on track - Shawn, glad to hear you proved a point, and thanks for posting the numbers. Question, though: Are both dynos the same? That is, are they both dynojet dynonameters? You always hear about how dynojets give different readings than mustang dynos (or something like that) - so, I was just wondering.

John,

The dynos were both Dynojets. Dyno Brain was right on the money when he said all dynojets read within 1% of each other.

The difference between the two is what goes into the actual hp calculation. I spoke with Brian about it and he clarified that both dynos read the same raw, they both calculate torque very accurately, but when the mustang factors in weight of the car, coefficent of drag, probably some others...that produces the HP differance. There are also a few differant ways of correction and smoothing which people with intent to inflate numbers, could.

Doug,

Buck's dyno at dynotune was off by 400rpm. RPM is a crucial thing in the HP equation. We needed to veriify everything was a clean. At auto asset's they run WinPEP 7, which the RPMs were spot on with Buck's car. On WinPEP 6 however...the dyno reads 6,500 - I saw it with my own eyes while the car was hitting the revlimiter, but actually charts it to the right by 400rpm. The graphs and power are the same, they just are shifted as a whole along the X axis.

Originally posted by Doug:

Brian can adjust rpm. When dynoing my car it was off and he went into the program and corrected it.

The RPM was dead on when the car was dynoed, but when it plotted the curves it was +400. Is this what happend with you? Or was there a pickup issue?

Strange thing is that another GP was dynoed in MI had a 400+ rpm differance. Bucks dynos - previous and post were both +400 rpm off.

Originally posted by Buck531:

Both are Dynojets. I think the models between the two are different. Dynotunes is mobile, and auto asstes is not. I have no idea on the model differences (if any) though.

I'm not out $165 dollars though. An unnamed person gave me $140 for the testing.. so I was only out $25. That's a LOT better than $165 ;) .

Damn thats pretty stout 370rwhp! A friend of mine has an 03 Cobra and he dyno'd his on Brian's dyno when it was stock w/ just a CAI and he put down 380.3rwhp and 365rwtq. He's getting it dyno'd again this weekend since he's added some mods.