Anyone wonder how fast a stock car can go?

Guest BLACKBIRD99

Guest BLACKBIRD99
Originally posted by WWJKD?:

[QB]CART cars were hitting 240+ on the front straight 15 years ago at Michigan, and broke 240 for a LAP AVERAGE at California back in 1998.

QB]

They'd better since they're lighter and more aerodynamic.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Blowzilla:

graemlins/thumb.gif If I wanted to sit and watch people drive around a big oval, wreck, scream at each other then I would sit and watch I-270.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!1

Guest BLACKBIRD99

Go to watch a race in person, and you'll be hooked. graemlins/thumb.gif

I myself, am working on going to race #10 this summer in Michigan. If not there, then definitely Charlotte. :cool:

Guest monkey4sale321
Originally posted by Blowzilla:

graemlins/thumb.gif If I wanted to sit and watch people drive around a big oval, wreck, scream at each other then I would sit and watch I-270.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH +1

CART cars were hitting 240+ on the front straight 15 years ago at Michigan, and broke 240 for a LAP AVERAGE at California back in 1998.

Restrictor plates = graemlins/gay.gif

What were they hitting when they could use a turbocharger? What are the getting out of them now? Im sure it is getting close to the turbo speeds?

You know. In 69 and 70 they were running 200 MPH there. At least the dodge/plymouths were. It's part of the reason *** Superbirds and Daytona's were banned from NASCAR. They have choked inovation and technology ever since, everyone crys about the restrictor plates, but there is ALOT more that governs the speed of the cars besides the restrictor plates. There is no reason to believe that a different car, without any of the restrictions cound hit 275 safely on a superspeedway. But racing at that speed is another thing entirely. And I don't know that they ever will see those speeds, or for that matter, 210 at the superspeedways ever again, except for occations like this with one car on the track testing.

Originally posted by BLACKBIRD99:

They'd better since they're lighter and more aerodynamic.

Yeah, sticking huge tires, wings and sidepods out in the airflow really helps the drag coefficient. lol

CART cars also have a lot more horsepower. ;)

BTW, the Porsche 917/30 was hitting speeds as high as 246mph on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans during the 1971 24 hour race. At night. :eek:

Too bad that Nascar won't allow 220+mph race cars to exist. That would make it an interesting racing series. Probably safer, too. Restrictor plate racing just sucks.

Edit: Desperado, why can't Nascar race at those speeds? If the clowns in IRL can in hideously unsafe cars, then what's the deal with stock cars? Too bad the Frances have managed to shove CART off of virtually every oval in America.

I am a drag race fan all the way but I did the Richard Petty experience a few years ago in Dayton. That gave me a whole new respect for NASCAR. The G's are not ther like in drag racing and you dont really feel like your going that fast until you start looking around. Shit is just flying by and that is when ya know that you are strokin. When you get in to the turns at abouy 150 you just get pinned in the side of the seat. I still dont watch those guys but I have a whole new respect for em.

BTW, the Porsche 917/30 was hitting speeds as high as 246mph on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans during the 1971 24 hour race. At night. :eek:

wasn't it raining too..? tongue.gif

even with two chicanes and smaller engine restrictors, several cars were breaking 200 mph last year... :cool:

Yeah, sticking huge tires, wings and sidepods out in the airflow really helps the drag coefficient. lol

CART cars also have a lot more horsepower. ;)

Too bad that Nascar won't allow 220+mph race cars to exist. That would make it an interesting racing series. Probably safer, too. Restrictor plate racing just sucks.

Edit: Desperado, why can't Nascar race at those speeds? If the clowns in IRL can in hideously unsafe cars, then what's the deal with stock cars? Too bad the Frances have managed to shove CART off of virtually every oval in America.

Even a IRL car is made to dissipate energy and not send it right to the drivers seat.

Originally posted by Rally Red Evo:

Even a IRL car is made to dissipate energy and not send it right to the drivers seat.

Just don't hit a wall backwards or put the thing airborne into a catch fence. graemlins/nonono.gif

I get your point, though. Hitting a wall at 220+ in a rigid cage, that for some unfathomable reason doesn't have any crushable structure, might not be too healthy.

Originally posted by punkrocker3_00:

I am not a NASCAR fan, but I am a Dodge fan. Makes you wonder how badly Dodge would be killing everyone in NASCAR if they weren't as restricted as Ford and GM

Makes you wonder if they could compete at all without copying chevrolet's cylinder head design.