Detroit Auto Show Spoilers!!

Mallard

Originally posted by Spyder550:

As to the Blue Devil, I trust this authority:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26796&perpage=20&highlight=blue%20devil&pagenumber=1

According to him, testing is in progress...

And in the same post, confirmation of 7.0L... I did see the spy pics of the CTS-V engine, but didn't want to jump to conclusions as C5R also had 7.0, but production had 5.7.

I'm damn pleased on both fronts graemlins/nod.gif

While I have to be registered to see that link you posted, I am guessing it is recent. As I said, 'last I heard,' and that was at the end of May, at the FSAE competition, from a GM engineer. It was shelved at that point...maybe it was revived.

I can't wait for the auto show. :cool:

Guest Spyder550
Originally posted by Mallard:

While I have to be registered to see that link you posted, I am guessing it is recent. As I said, 'last I heard,' and that was at the end of May, at the FSAE competition, from a GM engineer. It was shelved at that point...maybe it was revived.

I can't wait for the auto show. :cool:

Oops, sorry about that... Here's the text, dated 12-06-04:

More Z06 Tid-bits From My Source........

Last edited by CorvetteConti on 12-06-2004 at 09:32 PM

We are hearing a lot of different things....and I guess we'll really know shortly.....but the latest from my source....(enjoy)

Q:6 SPEED AUTO IN THE Z06?

A: Doubt It!

Q:TARGA TOP?

A: No! BUT- it will have "several" bolts - So I guess someone could take it off if they wanted to! (grin)

Q:HP CONFIRM?

A:500HP really 512 ( as Jim Hall reported!)

Q:PADDLE SHIFT?

A:No, not right away - tried to put it on the Z16 car and THERE IS something in the works.......(shocked this was asked...HUMMM)

Q:CARBON FIBER?

A:Hood-Front Fenders and Rear quarters as he understands now......

Q:7.0L OR NOT??????

A: YES! (with a chuckle)

Q:PRICING IDEA'S?

A: High 60's low 70's.......

Q: ALUMINUM FRAME?

A: YES!

MORE SOON KIDS.....

OH YEAH.....HE ALSO SAID THERE "IS" A BLUE DEVIL - SUPER VETTE OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT....TESTING IS GOING ON NOW......

• 2 weeks later...

Chrysler Firepower

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/8689_image.jpg

Make that "codename Firepower!" The name may change by the time this two-seat sportscar hits Detroit's Cobo Hall next January, but the striking styling is all but locked in stone. Or, to be more precise, carbon fiber, the material of choice for Chrysler's show cars.

The Firepower prototype is meant to slot in somewhere between the sporty Chrysler Crossfire and last year's audacious ME-412 concept vehicle. (And, not so coincidentally, the Firepower and ME-412 were both designed by 30-year-old stylist Bill Niedlander.) If the dimensions seem familiar, that's because the Firepower shares its platform with the Dodge Viper. But in Chrysler trim, it's meant to be more elegant and refined, in the tradition of a classic grand tourer, according to Creed, who suggests you "think of the likes of Aston Martin."

Instead of the Viper's raw V-10, the Firepower will feature the new, 6.1-liter, 425-horsepower version of the HEMI V-8. Estimated top speed is 185 mph, with 0-60 times of under 4.5 seconds.

Though there continues to be some interest in the ME-412 at Chrysler's highest levels, its astronomical price tag seems to have limited the likelihood it would go into production. The Firepower could still serve as a top-end halo car, though Creed cautioned that for the moment, at least, there is no talk of production. On the other hand, he quickly added, "Sometimes design (department) has to put something out there and take the lead" to see what the market reaction is. Then the beancounters need to figure out if there's a business case to be made.

Pontiac G6 Coupe/Convertible

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8696_image.jpg

Oprah isn't the only one showing off the new Pontiac G6. But Oprah only had the sedans, and we've caught the upcoming convertible and coupe versions. The sporty coupe will reach dealerships in early 2005, but the convertible will not make its retail appearance until the third quarter of 2005 as a 2006 model. The convertible, with an annual projection of 40,000 sales, will be equipped with a retractable hardtop, much like those on models priced far more expensively. No word on powerplants, but a V-6 with at least 250 hp is expected. Both are expected to be show in Detroit.

Jeep Gladiator

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8690_image.jpg

Think of this flashy pickup prototype as "part of the fleshing out of the Jeep division," suggested Trevor Creed. The design director at DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group, he acknowledged "(we) haven't done enough with Jeep," adding that "we're going to do an awful lot more…in a very short time."

With its exposed door and hood hinges, there's a bit of the back-to-basics look to Gladiator, enhanced by a canvas roof that rolls partway back, much like a sunroof, but it also can be removed entirely. The pickup features dual doors on the passenger side and, on the passenger side, a cargo hatch for easy access to the rear on the driver's side. The doors swing open a full 180 degrees. Based on an all-new platform, so-called "lifestyle vehicle," may be straightforward in design, but what you see isn't always what you get. The Gladiator's most innovative feature is its cargo bed. In normal configuration, it measures 5.5 feet in length. But stow the rear seat cushions and the rear bulkhead moves forward into the two-row cab, stretching the bed to an even eight feet.

Featuring a part-time 4x4 powertrain, the Gladiator boasts a 2.8-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesel making 163 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. The engine is mated to a manual transmission.

While Creed won't say whether the Gladiator is set to become part of Jeep's expanding product portfolio, it wouldn't hurt to keep a close eye on this concept vehicle, especially the bold front end. It "could be" the inspiration for the next-generation Wrangler, Creed hinted. "We always learn our lessons from these concepts."

Toyota says its plans for the Detroit auto show include a brace of vehicles for both the Toyota and Lexus brands. Two will be production vehicles, according to a press release unaccompanied by pictures. The 2005 Toyota Avalon will bow at Detroit, with promised increases in performance and in luxury features. It goes on sale in 2005. The other production vehicle is an updated LX470 SUV for Lexus, which gets a more powerful V-8 engine with 270 hp and an anti-roll system. Two concepts will show up in Detroit as well: a Toyota concept sport wagon loosely based on the next Highlander due in the 2006 model year, and the Lexus LF-A, a high-performance sportscar concept presaged by spy shots of a supercar running around Toyota's stomping grounds.

The Lexus concept could be the forerunner of a new supercar under development at Toyota. Toyota has been eyeing Nissan's success with the revived 350Z - and apparently, from spy pictures nabbed this week, it's been a little jealous of supercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, too. Toyota 's been caught testing what some insiders are calling the "TXS," a limited-production exotic that might be powered by a V-10 engine worth 500 hp.

Pictures show the TXS with enough cladding to disguise much of its shape, but clearly, this is no Celica or MR2-sized sportscar. Insiders suggest the car will tip in at less than 3000 pounds, giving its 500-hp powerplant (with 370 lb-ft of torque) a serious chance at catching the likes of the Porsche and Benz supercars. Top speed could reach 190 mph, the same league as the 550-hp Ford GT. Whether the drivetrain offers any version of Toyota 's hybrid technology is unknown. Whether the final vehicle is sold as a Lexus or as a Toyota , it's likely that a limited production run of about 10,000 units is in order.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8592_image.jpg

All this is from the Car Connection, Obviously I did not type it.

Mitsubishi Raider and Eclipse

The Dodge-sourced truck Mitsubishi will put on sale next year will be dubbed the Raider, in a nod to Mitsu's SUVs past. The ailing Japanese carmaker told its dealers in New Orleans on Thursday that the truck will get a standard V-6 with a V-8 option, two different cab configurations, and distinct style to keep from confusing it with the Dakota, on which it's based to a minimum. A 500-watt sound system and Bluetooth integration of cell phones will please the techno-addicted.

Mitsu also told dealers that the 2006 Eclipse will bow alongside the Raider at the 2005 Detroit auto show in January. The new Eclipse will actually go on sale first - in summer 2005, a couple of months ahead of the Raider. The Eclipse will get more powerful four- and six-cylinder engines (the six is worth 260 hp), an available six-speed manual gearbox or five-speed automatic and 18-inch wheels, and an optional 650-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system with a six-CD in-dash changer, MP3 playback, and nine speakers with a 10-inch subwoofer.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8409_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8410_image.jpg

Here's the Honda "Ridgeline" http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8207_image.jpg

ALSO COMING:

BMW Crossover vehicle

Ferrari Superamerica

(There are other SUV's and compacts slated for debut, but I only posted what I thought was interesting)

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Mallard:

Mitsu also told dealers that the 2006 Eclipse will bow alongside the Raider at the 2005 Detroit auto show in January. The new Eclipse will actually go on sale first - in summer 2005, a couple of months ahead of the Raider. The Eclipse will get more powerful four- and six-cylinder engines (the six is worth 260 hp), an available six-speed manual gearbox or five-speed automatic and 18-inch wheels, and an optional 650-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system with a six-CD in-dash changer, MP3 playback, and nine speakers with a 10-inch subwoofer.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8409_image.jpg

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/tmb/8410_image.jpg

They just don't get it. Without a turbo or AWD, an Eclipse isn't an Eclipse, it's a fucking two-door Galant. graemlins/nonono.gif

Guest Harris92

Last I heard (which was last spring) they were thinking about bringing the AWD back to the eclipse.

Sounds like they are gonna bitch out. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif When is mitsubishi going to learn?

They would just void peoples warranties for (legally) racing it or deny re-compensation on fixed center diffs for racing (when that is a safety recall). Great company I tell you. I wouldn’t care what car they came out with, I probably would never buy from them.

From the Volvo world!

Volvo XC90 gets the state-of-the-art V8 powertrain

The first V8 from Volvo Cars

Transversely installed for optimum protective safety

4.4 litres and 315 hp (311 SAE)

325 lb/ft at 3900 r/min

First launch of a petrol V8 meeting ULEV II/Euro 5

Exclusive engine design

New 6-speed automatic transmission

Worlds's first AWD with Instant Traction for enhanced ability

This thing is a soccer mom's off-road dream!!

I drove it at the Volvo Arizona Proving Grounds. Simply amazing!!