Gas question

SPLN SUX

Does anyone know what stations do and dont have MMT in thier gas? Appearently, Volvos cant have it because it messes with the cats, and triggers a CEL... which i got today. I used Kroger for the first time and this is my 3rd or 4th tank. Does it say it on the pumps???

I work for Volvo!

You should use Sunoco, Shell, Speedway, are all fine. BP is the only one to avoid.

Most CEL come on due to not putting the gas cap back on right or refueling with the car running.

Any other Volvo questions hit me up, I'm full of all kinds of info!

Have you been to www.s40concepts.net ?

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl.

It increases the octane rating and is very rare in the U.S. You're more likely to find it in Canada.

Thanks for the answer. I've always heard not to use BP gas, that its watered down, but is that really it, or is there something else.

Please elaborate on your BP comment. I question anyone's fuel knowledge who states people should use Speedway.[/QB]

Is Speedway bad too?

I have been through the good-vs-bad fuel debates on here too many times to count. smile.gif

In boils down to this: stick to the major brand gas companies. Believe me or not, you get what you pay for when it comes to fuel. That $.02 more a gallon buys you cleaners that DO help your engine. If everyone would tear down a few engines that have always ran BP, Shell, or Sunoco, and then look inside an engine that was given Speedway, UDF, Bonded, etc... they would see for themselves the difference it makes.

The "BP sucks ass" argument that dealership mechanics use bothers me because I have yet to hear the "why" behind this argument. Their reasoning is almost always, "well, umm, because it clogged a customer's injector."

They need to take it a step farther and learn why it clogged the injector. The real answer is because of the cheap fuel the car was fed for the previous 20k miles.

So you're saying that you don't think BP is bad? I think I'm going to stick to Shell, there are a lot of them around here and I've never heard anything bad about them. Thanks for the info. smile.gif

I am saying that I have used BP in every kind of car from a 3-cylinder Sprint to my current high compression 383 and in all of my bikes. I have seen intake runners, valves, and chambers be crystal clean after thousands of miles using BP.

I have seen local Shells, Exxons, Meijer, and Marathons pay for thousands of vehicle's repairs after selling bad loads of fuel.

I have read test results comparing the major companies to each other and against grocery store chains. I have read studies comparing Ohio fuels to the rest of the country.

BP pissed GM off long ago. Wasn't shorty after, we started hearing that GM mechanics were warning their customers to stay away from BP. It wasn't long after that other car maker's mechanics were blaming anything and everything they could on BP. Funny thing is, these same mechanics could nerver explain the "why", and both owners of the 2 GM dealerships in Zanesville bought their gas at our BP.

In ~9 years of working in a BP garage, we had ZERO failures of ZERO parts because of our fuel. In general, our long-term, loyal customers had excellent luck with engines, fuel lines, etc. Trouble is going to come if a person switches back and forth between a discount fuel chain and a premium fuel chain.

For fewer problems over the long term, spend the extra couple of cents.

I am the Internet Manager for Byers Volvo.

Tests have been conducted that show BP in the Midwest area has a high water content in their tanks and the ice guard additive will gum up throttle plates on older Volvos.

Speedway gets their gas from Marathon. The same truck stops at both places.

I personally only go to Sunoco for gas.

[ 15. January 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: pbsracerx ]

smile.gif The Volvo Internet Manager?

As in car sales?

"There has been"... "in there tans" ...

Different stations order their fuels through the same tanker companies. These companies pick up their fuel loads from different bulk plants, and deliver their loads to different stations.

Just because you see the same tanker company delivering their fuel to different stations, don't assume the contents of their load are the same.

Ignorant comments are why so many people are confused.

And, by the way, can you explain why Volvo and BMW both put BP fuels in all of their new cars before delivering them to their dealerships?

Yes as in Car Sales!

Sorry MR English Professor for my "miss-spelled typing".

No I have seen the tanker truck drop fuel at the Speedway in Westerville and then pull out and into the Marathon station and dump fuel there too.

Ps your a dumbass cause Volvo DOES NOT deliver cars with a tank full of BP gas. The cars come into the US with 1 gallon of gas. Once it is dropped off at the dealership we take all cars to the Duke & Dutchess shop on 5th ave behind the airport to be filled up.

Right back atcha

"Ignorant comments are why so many people are confused."

PS the guy asked a simple question and you are trying to turn it into some kind of Holy war.

I did not say they were delivered with a FULL tank of BP fuel. But, do your research, chief.

BMW and in fact, VOLVO, run their vehicles on BP first. True story. Really.

If Marathon and Speedway are the same, then I would stay away from Marathon.

Also, you're going to flip your lid when you realize the relationship between Duke and Duchess and BP.

Holy War?

graemlins/wtf.gif

Originally posted by pbsracerx:

PS the guy asked a simple question and you are trying to turn it into some kind of Holy war.[/QB]

I don't think he's trying to turn anything into a holy war, I think you're the one whos getting uptight. graemlins/chillpill.gif Anyway it's just gas.

Originally posted by pgsrt-4:

I don't think he's trying to turn anything into a holy war, I think you're the one whos getting uptight. graemlins/chillpill.gif Anyway it's just gas.

Damnit Ryan! That's the point. It's not just gas!!! :D

I usually don't really care. Sunoco 94 if i'll be racing, shell/bp/sunoco 89 if i don't plan on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not say they were delivered with a FULL tank of BP fuel. But, do your research, chief.

BMW and in fact, VOLVO, run their vehicles on BP first. True story. Really.

If Marathon and Speedway are the same, then I would stay away from Marathon.

Also, you're going to flip your lid when you realize the relationship between Duke and Duchess and BP.

Holy War?

graemlins/wtf.gif

so what's the relationship?

does bp have a nice race gas? or a nice high octane gas? but thats just me maybe we all need to put our cash together and get some samples and send em out to be tested somewhere. just a thought well all be hunted down and killed by oil companys....hahahaha.

Did anyone see the thing on the discovery channel the other night? It was about gas. It was saying that most of the gas we get is pumped through pipelines from the refineries to bulk holding tanks. All the oil companies put gas in them and take gas out of the other end the same day. They went on to say that it takes a few days for the actual barrels that were put in to reach the other end. They also said all the gas is the same, you dont really know whos gas you are getting. The only difference is the additives that go into it when it is loaded into the trucks to be distributed to the stations.