errr tickets!

McGraw

okay is this ticket worth fighting .... it's an 83 in a 65, at 5 am in the morning no traffic no adverse weather and in my celica.

he has it recorded as a 1999 Toyo Celica, orgiinally had Honda and crossed it out, and it's a 1993 celica in reality.

I think my speedo is off to I'm going to go see about having it calibrated because he clocked me at 83 he said and I know the whole trip I never broke 70 simply because I didn't want another ticket ... and I was the only car on the road.

he seemed like a new cop too .... Good ol' Ohio troopers in Muskingum county.

The discrepancy of him recording 1999 as opposed to 1993 may be something to work with. If I decided to fight the ticket, I'd wait to see if the cop shows to court. If he doesn't show, then I'd move to have it thrown out, or at least bargain with the prosecutor to have the ticket substantially reduced to something fairly insignificant. If he does show, then I still bargain with the prosecutor to reduce the ticket. If that doesn't garner much, then I'd put the cop on the stand and rail him about the discrepancy, saying things like "If you can't record things as simple as 9 or 3 correctly, then how can we trust that you weren't reading the radar correctly, or even had the correct car? Isn't it possible that you made a mistake in reading the radar, or flagging down the correct car, just like you made a mistake in recording the year of my vehicle?"

Traffic court is always a scary place, and, IMO, your chances are never, ever good. But, if you want to fight it, and you've got some time to waste sitting around, and maybe some more time to prepare a case, and you want to play lawyer for a bit, then I say go for it.

If you do get the speedo calibrated, make sure you bring the paperwork from the place that did it to court with you proving that it was off and that it has been fixed. Try asking for leniency since it was off, you didn't know it, and you've already fixed the problem.

I have no idea if this will work or not, but it's worth a shot. I also recommend trying to not have the points against you, but pay whatever fine they want.

Yeah, I'd say a reasonable request would be a reduction paying the fine without receiving points if you can get the speedo calibration done.

And the wrong vehicle information is a good point of arguement if the officer does not appear...treat it like a bonus instead of your main bargaining chip.

The fact that your speedo MAY be off isnt going to get out of a ticket.

The arguement you DO HAVE... if you strongly believe that you did NOT go over 70mph, you can request to see the radar guns calibration papers. As the radar gun may be off and not your speedo. If he fails to produce the authentic papers, then you'll be off.

The fact the the trooper wrote down incorrect vehicle information may be in your favor as well.

I would certainly count on the officer showing up.

Originally posted by DragKnee66:

The fact that your speedo MAY be off isnt going to get out of a ticket.

The arguement you DO HAVE... if you strongly believe that you did NOT go over 70mph, you can request to see the radar guns calibration papers. As the radar gun may be off and not your speedo. If he fails to produce the authentic papers, then you'll be off.

The fact the the trooper wrote down incorrect vehicle information may be in your favor as well.

I would certainly count on the officer showing up.

+1

The officer will show. Every freaking ticket I fought last year they showed. (three different tickets)

You can cut a deal for the most part. They should cut you a break, 18 over is not that bad. They hear alot of bullshit everyday about speeding. The best method I have found is to keep the facts simple and to the point. Be honest, tell them you thought you were only going 5 over. Don't go off on some technical tangent b/c they don't know what you are talking about and they don't really care.

Some judges will not deal down at all. just and fyi.

Good Luck

The officer will definitely show. If you haven't noticed, starting with me, I've seen several people complaining about tickets here, and I know about 4 or 5 people have gotten them at school. The popo are out to raise revenue, and they will be showing up in court.

With this goal to ticket as many people as possible, I'd also assume that the courts are going to be less lenient in terms of small discrepancies. I know I wasn't speeding when I was clocked doing 80 in a 65 in moderate to heavy traffic. In fact, I think the guy just got me because he didn't like seeing 4 teenagers in the daddy's BMW. Considering he didn't even turn on his flashers until he was literally on my tail, I think my ticket is complete bullshit. Unfortunately, because of the fact that in these great United States it is often NOT the case that you are innocent until proven guilty, my word and those of my three friends against the officer's will not do me much good, so I'm going to have to bend over, spread my cheeks, and take it right up the ass from the judge's gavel when I get it knocked down to lesser offense so I can at least keep my job and get me and my sister to school every day (i'm under 18). Shit happens, and often it is the case that you're just gonna have to suck it up.

Fuckin sucks, don't it?