Busted for Loud Exhaust

SVTCobraGuy

Town police think my brand-new Flowmaster American Thunder catbacks on my Cobra are too loud.

Town cop says as long as he can hear me a block away, it's too loud. That's a bunch of crap.

One guy told me the state law is 95db and my flowmasters are rated for 89db.

Any good ideas to send the town police back to the donut shop? Can't I get a certification somehow or some kind of testing? I'm sure I'm not the first person to get hassled, but come on, these things are supposed to be 100% legal?

Guest monkey4sale321
That's pretty gay of the police to say that. Umm call up flowmaster or go to their website and see what they can give you. I'm sure they've got something to prove yer legal

Guest xxxyyyzzz
Do you have an offroad H or X pipe or is the car still 100% street legal? I could see a cop ticketing a catless Mustang with the Flowmaster kit because they're loud enough to attract attention, but if yours still has the cats it's pretty lame to ticket you, it's not that loud.

That's pretty fucked up. I've had cops pull up next to me before and ask me to rev it up for them. I inclined, and every single one has told me that it sounded good and drove on their merry way. You must just have run into one cockmunch.

A quote from a police friend of the x-wifes-- "if he's hasseling you about you exhaust, he's just being a jerk" tell the cop to get out his DB meter, or go eat a dounut. You talking about CPD or local jerk?

BTW-I just put the same exhaust on my 03, sounds great don't it

[ 16. June 2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: KBOND99 ]

Originally posted by GonneVille:

The cop may have been going by a local noise ordinance, in which case, HE CAN GET FUCKED.

State law over-rides local, tell him to get a Db meter.

Wrong. If by "Town" you mean Columbus, then you are fucked. The way the law reads in Columbus is all based on the cop’s opinion. If he feels it is too loud, it is, end of story. It doesn't matter if it says 50 state legal or not. Doesn't matter how many decibels it is either. I speak from experience there. I took the same ticket to court from a Columbus prick. Greddy sent me a document showing it being 50 state legal and what decibel rating it was in a controlled environment. Which was below what Ohio said it had to be by far. All for not.

Originally posted by Need Boost:

Wrong. If by "Town" you mean Columbus, then you are fucked. The way the law reads in Columbus is all based on the cop’s opinion. If he feels it is too loud, it is, end of story. It doesn't matter if it says 50 state legal or not. Doesn't matter how many decibels it is either.

That's not the first time I have heard that. Everyone reading this that doesn't agree with it, write to your cnogressman.

I agree, although i have never had a cop say anything about the exhaust on my car I think motorcycles should be enforced the same as autos.

I've heard some super loud ass bikes recently around town, much worse than a off-road pipe and 2-chambers.

also time of day plays a factor, if you are on sawmill during the day there is so much recket going on everywhere that no one would notice.

But goose the accelerator at 2am and it sounds much louder to officer dickhead.

Originally posted by The Ogrish:

I agree, although i have never had a cop say anything about the exhaust on my car I think motorcycles should be enforced the same as autos.

I've heard some super loud ass bikes recently around town, much worse than a off-road pipe and 2-chambers.

also time of day plays a factor, if you are on sawmill during the day there is so much recket going on everywhere that no one would notice.

But goose the accelerator at 2am and it sounds much louder to officer dickhead.

loud pipes save lives.

Originally posted by Ricochet:

In their defense, on the street 99% of the compacts are louder than domestics, and are usually doing stupid shit along with the noise.

It doesn't matter who the morons are, loud exhaust is loud exhaust.