Bodykits - recommendations on who can install/paint?

Shinobi

Originally posted by GAS,GRASS,OR ASS:

try a good bodyshop like true 2 form. I would recomend not getting a bodykit for the same money you could put the car on a diet and spray the be-jesus out of it. doesn't that sound like more fun?

Actually ... I thought about doing that. I was only going to do a 30 shot. I read though that the bottom end of my engine was very weak. I think it is rated up to 240-250 WHP but that "shock" of nitrous could blow out the bottom end. I then also read that this is a rumor and isn't true. Either way I figure nitrous is to dangerous to do on my car, especially since it is my daily driver. I would probably spray to much and good by engine!

The alternative really to increase speed is to

1. Sell it, but that really isn't an option at the moment.

2. Alpine S/C - stage one gives about 48 HP to the wheel. It's 3k, but I can't install it myself, and I have no idea where to get it installed.

After the s/c price, (and in fairness the price of painting, installing and purhcaing a body kit), I could afford a down payment on a new car, like an SRT-4, or WRX ... something like that. I like both of those cars ... but the dream is the new EVO :D

Originally posted by MackZilla:

Hey i hate to go off topic but ram is it hard to install a msd-dis 4 on a bird?

Mine or yours?

Mine is simple enough with the correct harness. But in all honesty, it's not needed. The factory ignition system is one of the best ever created. As a matter of fact, the MKIV Supra guys upgrade their ignition system to the LS1 coil packs on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Shinobi:

Actually ... I thought about doing that. I was only going to do a 30 shot. I read though that the bottom end of my engine was very weak. I think it is rated up to 240-250 WHP but that "shock" of nitrous could blow out the bottom end. I then also read that this is a rumor and isn't true. Either way I figure nitrous is to dangerous to do on my car, especially since it is my daily driver. I would probably spray to much and good by engine!

please stop hanging out with ricers that tell you stupid shit like that.

Originally posted by The Ogrish:

please stop hanging out with ricers that tell you stupid shit like that.

I read that on a Hyundai board. Could you perhaps tell me what the truth is in regards to nitrous? Do you have it on your car?

My knowledge is limited, and my research on nitrous is not all that extensive. I got as far as reading horror stories and figured better safe than sorry. I also have read that, if you know what your doing nitrous is "safe". Since I DON'T, know what I am doing, I figure stay away :D

Originally posted by still2high:

half of you cant respect the guy for putting time and money into his car. oh well.. good luck man

I hear people say this a lot, but time and money does not equal a nice looking car. If someone spends 1000 hours on a complete piece of shit, I'm still going to say it's a piece of shit.

*That comment has no relation to the topic at hand. I am not saying anyone on this board has a POS car that I make fun of. I only do that on the Mazda boards. :D

Guest Tony_K
Geez fellas (some of you). :rolleyes: He's being polite and asking the best questions he can with no experience and some misinformation. Cut him some slack. smile.gif

I read that on a Hyundai board. Could you perhaps tell me what the truth is in regards to nitrous? Do you have it on your car?

My knowledge is limited, and my research on nitrous is not all that extensive. I got as far as reading horror stories and figured better safe than sorry. I also have read that, if you know what your doing nitrous is "safe". Since I DON'T, know what I am doing, I figure stay away :D

http://www.idavette.net/hib/nitrous.htm

http://www.nitrous-oxide-systems.co.uk/

Originally posted by RAMD AIR:

The factory ignition system is one of the best ever created. As a matter of fact, the MKIV Supra guys upgrade their ignition system to the LS1 coil packs on a regular basis.

Delteq, who makes one of the coil pack kits (and soon to release the full Opti eliminator) for us LT1 guys has found the Northstar wasted spark coil packs setup to produce more voltage per plug than the LS1 coil packs. Not saying that the LS1 ignition is bad at all (as it is awesome), but it's deifinately not the only GM game in town. ;)

Guest h8tcivics
you can do what I did. Spray paint it...have some fun with it...and then sand it down for a while..until you gte the body kit...put it on primered for a while....and then in about a month paint it. that is my plan. I'm to the poiunt where I sanded it down. I have found a GTR body kit for my nissan(I'm all GM, but this import car is fun to rip on) I got it off of Ebay. check there. I already have my paint. Good luck with the honda..ohhh I mean Hyandai

Hmmm ... I'm thinking if I did Nitrous, to order a NOS 30hp wet-kit. If I understand it right, I can have it setup so it sprays at like 3500 to say 5500 rpm when I am WOT?

I was thinking though, I have an automatic w/ autostick. If my auto shifts gears, it shifts at around 6200 rpm. That's pretty close to my rev limiter. So if I shift, I usually do so at 5500 rpm. My fear is that when I use the auto stick there is a lag per se, and I am trying to think about how I would factor that in.

Could it work that I spray, (while in drive), at lets say 3500-5900 rpm, then when I go past 5900 the spray stops, car shifts and resumes spraying at 3500? Rinse and repeat though all the gears?

Yes, it's called an RPM activated window switch.

It's a normally open switch that ties into the ground side of the nitrous circuit. It gets it's voltage from a box that ties into your RPMs. It closes the switch and completes the ground between X and X RPMs.

In this case, you'd set the switch to complete the circuit from 3500-5900 RPMs, then it would open and cut the nitrous circuit to stop spraying the car at 6000. Also, I'd recommend a WOT (wide-open throttle) switch so you can only spray at WOT, otherwise you risk spraying nitrous at anything below full throttle.

A fuel pressure safety switch is not a bad investment either. This will normally tie into your fuel rail using the schrader valve, and it cuts the nitrous circuit if it senses a low fuel pressure situation.

BTW, I can install nitrous kits ;)

Hmmm ... I'm thinking if I did Nitrous, to order a NOS 30hp wet-kit. If I understand it right, I can have it setup so it sprays at like 3500 to say 5500 rpm when I am WOT?

I was thinking though, I have an automatic w/ autostick. If my auto shifts gears, it shifts at around 6200 rpm. That's pretty close to my rev limiter. So if I shift, I usually do so at 5500 rpm. My fear is that when I use the auto stick there is a lag per se, and I am trying to think about how I would factor that in.

Could it work that I spray, (while in drive), at lets say 3500-5900 rpm, then when I go past 5900 the spray stops, car shifts and resumes spraying at 3500? Rinse and repeat though all the gears?

Yes, it's called a window switch, and it's controlled by setting the RPM where you want to spray. 30 is pretty small though, think about it. a 30 shot is only going to make 5hp more per cylinder. that's nothing. hell last year we had an eagle summit that was spraying 100 on his 4cy. (untill he forgot he had 87) :(

Most kits come by default with a WOT switch. The RPM and FPSS are seperate items that are normally purchased outside of the kit.

Now, NX makes a basic nitrous kit, and they have an "add-on" kit called the GenX kit that contains the above mentioned additions. It also comes with a bottle heater and purge kit.

Total, you're looking at about $700-900 for a full kit with everything you'll need for safety. I'll do the install for dinner and some Coke.