02/03 Z06 Or 03/04 Cobra

Wease

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Which to choose for:

Stock for stock straight line = Z06

He's already established that he plans to modify both, albeit the Cobra more than the Z06. Nevertheless, noting a "stock for stock" comparison is essentially irrelevant here.

Not that I'd don't agree with the others things you said. Though, it's a little difficult to trust your input, considering your unbelieveably obvious bias.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Venomss:

Though, it's a little difficult to trust your input, considering your unbelieveably obvious bias.

If it makes you feel any better, if my promotion goes through at work, I will probably be buying my roomate's Mustang = me being a Mustang owner. Of course I'd much rather have a Vette over that, even a same vintage C4.

Its a tough call between the two each has its pluses in areas as clearly stated already. If it was me I would go with the Z06. IMO the Z06 is a better all around car than the Cobra is.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car. Also look at what is used and pick up the best overall deal.

I've always been a fan of driving, no matter what vehicle. If it's a car that can impress someone rather easily, all the more reason to show it off. I guess it's because of that why I've always wanted 4 seats in my car of choice. I enjoy driving to the movies with multiple friends in my car. I like giving people rides to get their reactions and if I can do that for 3 people at once, all the better. Hell, 4 seats was one of the largest factors in my decision to get the Cobra over a 'Vette. But it really all comes down to is personal usage and preference. Both vehicles will be fast (slight edge to the Cobra), both look good (slight edge to the 'Vette), and both can grab some groceries on the way home. A Cobra simply has two more seats, a 'Vette...well, it's a 'Vette.

I would go with the Z06. They are coming down in price fast due to the C6. There is nothing wrong with the Cobra(I own a stang too). I had driven a few Z06's and they handle great and are fast. I have not had the opportunity to drive a Cobra. If you plan to keep the car for a while, remember the body on the vette is fiberglass, which will not rust.

My $.02

I've read all the threads here. My opinion = as always Ford remained with the winner since 1964, Mustangs are just plain cool, with the COBRA addition, hey does it get any better? However, I currently own a 2002 Z06. She was expensive but she runs like a raped ape, always starts, & people always check her out when I'm driving it. Plenty of power, good gas mileage, handling is superb, & there's plenty of room for two sets of golf clubs! Yes, resale will always be high. I certainly DO NOT have the fastest car on CR, but I love my "vette". Ya got a tough decision to make - I think it's all about personal preference / have fun! smile.gif

I recall a track day at Marion when ^^^ was running 12.80's and a certain cobra couldn't drop out of the 13's. And Mr. Stock was getting driving tips from his sons, so I wouldn't call him a veteran driver.

My analysis of this thread - Mustang owners say get a Mustang MOST of the time, some say get Z06. Non Mustang owners say get ZO6. Hmm....

If I was more awake and thinking straight then I'd give you a long winded explaination about why I would take a vette over anything made by GM or Ford. My biggest problems with the Cobra are fit and finish, and handling, or lack thereof. Mustangs just feel incredibly cheaply made to me. And Droptop's mustang couldn't even come close to leaving Knisley's rainbow transmarobird on an onramp, even with brand new tires.

You're right Copperhead about that veteran driving comment? Hey I'm over 50 yrs old & haven't driven a car like that in 30 years. My son's were jaggin me about hitting the 12 barrior, I pushed myself more than I pushed that car. My times were also affected by the lack of traction in Marion too. Doesn't matter though, I bought the car because I always wanted one, racing it just isn't important (sucks to get old)! :D

Originally posted by copperhead:

I recall a track day at Marion when ^^^ was running 12.80's and a certain cobra couldn't drop out of the 13's. And Mr. Stock was getting driving tips from his sons, so I wouldn't call him a veteran driver.

You must be referring to the first time I was ever at the track in anything. Yeah, it was a little difficult. But, then I guess you weren't there the very next time when I was at that track, when I was consistently cutting mid- to low-12s and trapping 118+. Quite an improvement, wouldn't you say? I mean, dropping off an entire 1.0 to 1.5 seconds in elapsed time, dropping a 60-ft time a full 0.5 seconds, and increasing a trap speed by 5mph should be worth noting, right? No, because you're looking to derogate me unjustifiably.

Look, I've already established that simply because my Cobra hasn't put out numbers that it's capable of putting out doesn't render all Cobras less capable than Z06s in straight-line. Get off it already.

Originally posted by Venomss:

Look, I've already established that simply because my Cobra hasn't put out numbers that it's capable of putting out doesn't render all Cobras less capable than Z06s in straight-line. Get off it already.

Because driving in a straight line is all there is to life :rolleyes:

edit: and I wasn't looking to insult you, just making a comparison.

Uh, you're the one who brought it up:

I'm just responding to the material you provided.

well, that day at marion was the secound time dad had ever had his vette to track, running stock tires and wheels, a short throw shifter, a K&N air filter, (not a cold air intake, just the filter) and a borla axle back exhaust. Peosonally I was very impressed with the way the Z06 performed, and even more impressed with the way my father performed. Sean, get the Z06, I promise you won't be dissappointed!!! graemlins/thumb.gifgraemlins/grin2.gif:D

Sean, go out and beat the dick off of both cars. Take into consideration some comments on here, but just purchase what you fall in love with- regardless of how you plan to mod, that could change.

Congrats on being in a position in your life where you can decide between a Z06 and a Cobra.

:cool:

You people thinking the 03 Cobra can't turn have got some research to do. Can it turn better than a Z06? No. Can it outtrack 95% of every other car on this board? Yes. Folks should stop repeating hype without getting their facts together first. Its usually people not understanding the Cobra shares little to no suspension or driveline components with the Mustang GTs, but they've rode in a GT and have themselves an OPINION. Just to clarify - I've owned both a late model GT and this Cobra. Its night and day.

Or don't beleive me and go on. Makes it more fun for me to humiliate people. Which reminds me of a nice little embarrassment I paid to a BMW 330 friday on a cloverleaf... might need to post that in kill stories.

Oh and if you want to see a stock Cobra (ok except air filter and one other minor trick, er two other minor tricks) run a low 12, come watch me. Eagle F1s too.

Fit n finish? My uncle has an '02 Z06. Great car. It also creaks and squeaks far more than my Cobra, and the paint's faded faster. And he babies it. Garage, the works (granted its yellow - hard paint to keep fresh but still). Again - opinions overrule reality for most folk.

ANYHOO - As always, I still say save the Formula, and pocket the cash. But if you gotta have one - take the Z06.

My analysis of this thread - Mustang owners say get a Mustang MOST of the time, some say get Z06. Non Mustang owners say get ZO6. Hmm....

If I was more awake and thinking straight then I'd give you a long winded explaination about why I would take a vette over anything made by GM or Ford. My biggest problems with the Cobra are fit and finish, and handling, or lack thereof. Mustangs just feel incredibly cheaply made to me. And Droptop's mustang couldn't even come close to leaving Knisley's rainbow transmarobird on an onramp, even with brand new tires.

Get off it already Mike We know you don't like mustangs, and frankly I'm tired of hearing about it. Mike, the SVT Cobras are IRS cars, and as much as it will hurt your head to know this, they can turn! And as far as my car on an onramp... it's a fucking vert! The reservations that I make on taking an onramp at high speed has more to do with me and my limitations than those of the car. I choose NOT to possibily slide the car off a ramp and flip it. Some day when I'm able to get out on a track and get some professional instruction and drive on a place where the ground doesn't steeply drop off (on ramps) and I don't risk rolling my car and dying, THEN I won't hold back. Oh and those Tires... they're all-seasons that had like 30 miles on them that night. They handle much better now.

Edit: Oh, and my mom had a C5. All that interior did was squeek. I still can not believe the quality of the center console! That part stuck out as particularily low quality. If you're looking for a nicer interior (and have YOU ever been in a Cobra? They have a very different interior than my GT.) You'll have to go look into a high dollar mercedes or something similar.

[ 17. January 2005, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: The DropTop ]

What your doing is comparing a high power sports car, to a high power pony car.

In my limited experience Auto Crossing and Tracking the vette dominates with relative ease. Drivers equal, the pony is going to get smoked bad on all forms of competition other than a boring straight-line.

I vote for the Vette.

I'd want both, well just because but if I had to choose I would go drive both and decide from there.

Both are very nice and comperable cars so its hard for me to choose one. I like the styling on the vette better but I like the blower on the cobra.

I still think I'd get a ZO6 and a Cobra. I agree to keep the formula and pocket the cash.