Jet-Hot coating, I'm done doing business w/ these people (recoated pics now)

Nitrousbird

About 3 years ago I purchased my Hooker Long Tube headers. They were drop shipped to Jet-Hot for their "Sterling" coating (which looks almost like polished metal when it is new). Actually, it turns to a dull gray in about 2 days. :rolleyes:

After less than a month of being on the car, not scraping anything, and only driven in the rain a couple of times, the coating started to rust. Knowing it had a 3 year warranty on it, I decided I would send them back for recoating whenever I had a reason to pull the headers.

For one reason or another, I've pulled the headers twice but didn't have the time to be without my headers. This leads up to now; I finally pull the headers to be recoated.

I ship off my headers to Jet-Hot, per their instructions. They arrive to them on May 25th. I was told "ship them to us, with a note in the box indicating they are being coated under warranty, then we will recoat and ship them back to you."

Well, I wait. And wait. Finally I had time today to call them.

"We didn't have your phone number, so we couldn't call you. Upon further inspection, we believe the exhaust was getting too hot. The Sterling finish is only good to 1300 degrees, where are Jet-Hot 2000 finish is good to 2400 degrees **or something like that**. For $50 more we can upgrade you to the 2000 finish"

I respond telling him the coating started to get bad on a 100% internally stock, very well running motor, no emissions equipment. I decide to pass on the 2000 stuff, then the guy makes me pay $25 for them to ship the headers back. Glad I was informed of this; especially glad since it only cost me $12.91 to ship the headers to them via Fed-Ex ground insured.

Then I really got to thinking. If heat did it, wouldn't the primaries be impacted a lot worse than the collectors?? Yet the collectors is where the finish was by far the worst. Of course, pics speak a lot better:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Screw Jet-Hot.

[ 28. June 2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Nitrousbird ]

Guest nevarmore
Yea things should be hotter coming right out of the heads. Does Jet-Hot say anything about how thier coatings work in the wet? A few trips in the rain shouldn't have done that.

I mean, the pics you see now are definately more than just a few trips in the rain; but when they started to get f'ed up was maybe 1-2 drives in some normal rain. No nitrous was ran through them for the first month or so either, so that can't be to blame. But the coating is supposed to protect the headers from that.

I'd say the headers looked pretty much like the pictures after a year. I paid the money for that coating to help keep under hood temps down (which I do think it does to some extent), and to keep the headers from rusting. I'm gonna bet these recoated headers will turn gray within a day and probably smell like hell for 2 weeks, just like the last ones. :rolleyes:

I can compare mine to my buddies. He sprayed his with "high temp" spray paint, and I Jet Hot coated mine. His are almost ready to rust through, and mine still look decent. They dont have that sterling finish on them, they faded to the dull grey, but they are NOWHERE close to the way my buddies look. Could also be the quality of the metal, I am using Bassani headers, and they seem to be made of high grade material.

Edit: Damn, I can't type.

I dont know much about the egts of f body cars in stock trim but my lil 4 banger is about 1400 degrees cruising in 5th gear with roughly 5% of throttle. At 70-80 mph i'm hitting 1500 degrees. This on 4 cylinders, 235 cc injectors and 20mm/hg of vac. I'd have to assume your pushing 1400 degrees rather easily in that fire breathing ls1.

I called jet hot about 4 months ago about my new manifold. It gets fn hot, and so does everything else in the engine bay b/c of it. I did some research on a coating that would give a nice silver polish look but still keep the temps down and perform well. The guy at jet hot told me that anything with that coloring will not hold up to any kind of heat. He basically tried to sell me on the 2400* coating as well.

I think the fact he offered you the coating at a very reduced price is noble of him and you should jump on it. Obviously your making some very big power in your car, why skimp on it now?

Guest mudbutt
Originally posted by smokinHawk:

i had mine done at athetic finishes in piqua ohio, it has held up so far with my hight temperature turbo setup. decent price and good quality.

Doesnt the car have to actually run to generate heat?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after taking their grand old time, Jet Hot finally sent the headers back to me.

Let's just say I'm not impressed. But I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Yes, I know I need to sweep my carpet. tongue.gif

As can be seen, instead of cleaning up the metal, it looks like they quickly removed the old coating and recoated, which is where there are those little pits over all the areas that were rusty from last time....nice. Though not picture, where Kevin (Desperado) cleaned up the metal to TIG in the O2 Bungees, the coating came out nice and smooth; imagine that.